Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 217

William Grosz, todd landis, dick29, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1956 Power Booster Installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

Regarding the purists this is a bolt on installation. All of the parts have been saved and can be reinstalled if desired.

I have owned a 1956 Packard since 1965. The first was a 400. I installed cruise control and electric wipers. A few things bothered me, the front seats of two door cars back then did not lock in position, the vehicle did not stop well, and the front brakes would squeal now and then, and the car would pull to one side other or the other. I sold it and bought a Patrician. One problem solved, the front seat is solid. Now for the brakes.

I decided to pursue disc brakes. The first problem was the rotors. I solved this over a year ago. The solution is posted on Brake Upgrade. I felt that the pedal should stay in the original position.

At this point I wish to give credit to Craig for his inspiration, Eric for his pictures and encouragement to "think outside the box", Mike, who has dismantled dozens of Packards and made spare parts available, and Mike of ABS Power Brake for his time.

I used the computer to draw the components for fit and function. The Packard has a suspended pedal that can be used if modified slightly. The modified pedal has a 4 to 1 ratio. The original pedal brackets are still in position. The new brackets fit between them. The firewall had to be strengthened. This was accomplished by using 12 gauge plates on both sides of the firewall.

If anyone is interested I can describe the procedure for this installation. The picture below explains the setup.
Jerry

I guess I need to explain more after reading the comments about my post.

Eric:
You are right. Your idea of removing the fresh air duct is what I did. Thanks for taking the time to send me your pictures.

HH56:
The Treadlevac and Fresh Air Duct were removed. Nothing was moved.

PacV8:
The original pedal supports are still in the car but not being used. Another pair of pedal supports are reversed and moved closer together. The pedal shaft was cut shorter to fit. The exterior and interior firewall plates are each .104 thick. The standoffs are .625 diameter. The ends were turned to .375 and threaded 3/8-24. They go through the exterior plate, the firewall, the interior plate, and the pedal support bracket. I decided against a cast iron master cylinder because it was too heavy. Instead I have an aluminum master cylinder. It is much lighter. The clearance for the brake lines is close. I had to make my own bending tool in order to produce the close bend with the fitting already on the line.

All of the items were mounted and trial fitted. They were then removed for painting. The pedal and booster are now installed. I will post photos when the project is completed. At the present time I am behind on orders for Packard parts.

Again I want to thank Craig and Eric for help.

Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (60.64 KB)
1278_4a24ef6711767.jpg 977X732 px

Posted on: 2009/6/2 4:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Power Booster Installation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks very interesting but doesn't appear to be in original location. Would be interested to know where things are located and relation to steering column and what else had to be sacrificed, modified or relocated. Any pictures of one installed?

Posted on: 2009/6/2 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know about the 55 pedal. The 56 pedal will NOT take the 3:1 or 4:1 load. It will bend the 1/2 inch shaft across the top of the pedal. The shaft across the top of the pedal will need to be supportd at each side alot closer to the pedal arm than stock position. Also will need to drop the rubber bushings that hte pedal pivots in.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 15:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also, the mc as shown will not allow the brake lines to mate up. The fender skirt is TOO close. Need a mc with ports on the rite side.

The adapter plates shown as will not add enuf strength to the fire wall. The m/c will have to be tied back to the steering column, dash support or body to frame bracket directly under the clutch pedal area.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 15:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What power unit and master cylinder is used for this conversion?????

Posted on: 2009/6/2 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Too bad Ford has such a funky looking brake pedal pad and skimpy too.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.95 KB)
35_4a259568a0897.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2009/6/2 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
1956 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (45.29 KB)
35_4a2595b529f4e.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2009/6/2 16:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Nice job. Thats really cool. With my 55 headed into the 400 horsepower range i need to do this.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I still say through the fresh air duct hole in the firewall is the best way to go.... If you don't have factory A/C that is.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That's EXACTLY what i did Eric. Followed your lead on it. Another one of your GREAT firsts. As u mentioned in another post, there is some refinement that would be desireable. But it works just fine the way it is.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 20:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved