Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
260 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 258

Bob J, packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '51 200 Straight 8 Head Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Quote:
I doubt there are many women who could lift a straight eight packard head straight up off the studs and walk away with it. C clamps or no C clamps.An Olympic weight lifter would have a problem, considering how you have to reach way over into the engine compartment to do it.

That's a sexist comment! About how much does a straight 8 head weigh, anyway?

Attach file:

jpg  (49.01 KB)
508_4b32b01b543ab.jpg 460X287 px

Posted on: 2009/12/23 19:05
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Studs and Nuts v Cap Screws (Bolts)

I have been under the impression, that when done properly, tightening nuts on studs does not necessarily tighten the stud into the block at the same amount as the nut is tightened (the procedure pulls up on the stud); however, using cap screws to fasten the head to the block means that the cap screw is tightened into the block by the torque amount with more chance of damaging the threads in the block. Hence, studs and nuts are a better way to fasten cylinder heads onto engine blocks, albeit a more expensive method.

(o {} o)

Posted on: 2009/12/24 14:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
JW, you are correct. GE tightens the studs on a diesel train powerplant by spinning the nuts onto the studs hand tight. Then they have a machine with sleeves that screw onto the studs. The engine is bolted down to a stand and cannot move. Then they apply a certain amount of tension to the studs. And they finish by spinning down the nuts hand tight. When they release the tension on the studs they have the proper amount of torque.

And the statement about women is not sexist - just plain fact.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
And the statement about women is not sexist - just plain fact.

Depends on what woman you're talking about. This one could probably bench press the whole car! AND, beat your a$$ for saying that while holding the car up in the air!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/12/24 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Not sure what an iron Packard head weighs but it must be at least 50 pounds.

It's not so much the weight as the awkwardness of going in over the fender to the limit of your reach, then trying to lift a heavy object straight up over the studs without binding.

Happens I am 6'3 and weigh 285 but I wouldn't try it.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, I'm 6'2" 230lbs and have done it one several occasions, from a '48 Packard to a '53 Packard, over the fender, no problem. The trick is to get it up high enough with wood blocks that the studs are no longer a problem. I do it with 4 2" tall wood wedges, driving them in a little at a time all the way around.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Using the c-clamps, I actually stood over the engine, lifted the head, then rotated it and set it down on the studs near the front of the engine. Because the radiator had been removed, it was then easy to grab and move to my bench. I would say a standard eight (320) head weighs around 35 lbs. If you can get close to the front of the engine, any reasonably fit individual should be able to perform the task.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/12/24 22:43
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved