Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: My first Packard!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Welcome. Very nice project and definitely worth restoring.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 15:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

46Pack6
See User information
The rust isn't all that bad. I've seen much worse on old cars - especially VW's. How hard will be for me to source the trim that is missing? I've been watching EBay but haven't seen much there.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 18:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

46Pack6
See User information
New electric 6volt Carter fuel pump installed and good to go! Engine is running pretty well. Brakes are holding. Today's issue: Shifter.

I can shift into 2nd and 3rd but not reverse/1st. I can manually shift by moving the linkage with my hands but the shifter is not releasing the 2/3 coupler when i try to engage reverse/1st. I can see the two sections on the column in the engine compartment and it looks like both sections are trying to move when the shifter is pulled back for reverse/1st. Does that make sense?

Is the any adjustment in the shifter?

Posted on: 2010/2/16 19:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Sounds as though the shifter needs lubricaion. There is a small hole on the shifter column down near the shifter rods that you should be able to see from the top. You can shoot some penetrating oil or some light oil down into the shifter levers using this hole that may loosen them fom the shifter rod . The only adjustment mentioned in the manual is to insert a 3/16" rod or drill through the 2 aligning holes you will find in the column levers. With this pin in place you can adjust the linkage to the trans by placing both the transmission levers and the column shifter in neutral. I think you need to get the shifter rod loosened up so that the 2nd/3rd and 1st/reverse shifters don't move at the same time.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yea, lubricate first. Go on down the linkage and lubricate any other dry spots.

My Clipper sat for 20 years and lubricating the linkage was really was all that the transmission needed.

The interior looks original and good to amazing in condition.

Congratulations, enjoy the Clipper.

DanL

Posted on: 2010/2/16 20:04
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

46Pack6
See User information
I saw the hole and did shoot PB Blaster down it today. Maybe it will surprise me in the morning. :)

The interior was redone in the 80's. The headliner has shrunk and will probably have to be re-done but the seats and door panels should all clean up nicely.

BTW - Should there be front shocks on the car? I don't see any and wow is this front end bouncy! Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Posted on: 2010/2/16 20:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
There must be shocks on the car! The Delco hydraulic shocks form the upper control arms of the suspension. They are almost certainly worn out low on fluid or dry. You can refill them with hydraulic oil or motorcycle fork oil by removing a small plug located on the top of each one. This may help get you some shock action. They can be rebuilt but it isn't a job for a DIY'er. I could send you a photo but instead why not search the manuals online here and you will find almost everything you will need to know about your Packard. there is a 46-50 service manual you can download for free.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 20:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

46Pack6
See User information
Ah, the manual. Yes, I found it now, thank you. I shall check the oil level tomorrow. I'm so close to taking it down the block I can hardly stand it!

Posted on: 2010/2/16 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
You might have to repeat lub of the shifter several times-also try moving back and forth. My 49 it took several days of this activity before she began operating smoothly.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
46Pack6,

Here is an old forum discussion I started about shocks out of ignorance of maintaining them with fluid.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1086&forum=4&post_id=8290#forumpost8290

DanL

Posted on: 2010/2/16 22:21
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved