Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 255

Tobs, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Monroe Power Steering HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
So here is the situation... The steering unit turns very easily at the end closest to the feed and return, no problem there. However, the ram is stuck, i removed the large nut surrounding the rod and let penetrating oil sit in there for a few days, it moves about an inch now.... I really only bought the unit because i was told there was no bend in the left tie rod, like the unit on my 55....that was wrong. The left inner tie rod DOES have a bend in it. On all 55's equipped with tl system. The two units i have are identical monroe part numbers. In short I am preparing to hook the unit to my F150 and the fire hydrant outside my house in order to free it up. I hope somebody has a better idea. No I don't have a power ram. Quick fix? Who's got it? Please help?

Posted on: 2010/4/19 18:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Monroe Power Steering unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Anybody have a really good schematic? I read about the unit in the factory manual but could use a little more.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 20:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From old Motors and Chilton manuals

Attach file:

jpg  (115.36 KB)
209_4bcd0fd766ba0.jpg 717X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/4/19 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
AWESOME! Thank you very much! So in theory, from what im observing, the piston rod should slide out of the housing with the nut off the piston rod housing end.....we will see.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 22:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Careful of the fire hydrant..... you dont want to end like this!

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBPfLqW_tvs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBPfLqW_tvs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2010/4/19 23:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
LOL, that's funny. If its that seized up thank I'm definitely getting it rebuilt, just for the fact that I would know how strong it is. However the bill for the hydrant mess could buy one!

Posted on: 2010/4/20 0:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved