Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Need Help in R-11 Overdrive Troubeshooting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That black boot as you call it like I show a picture of should be the electrical connector if it is per original. The wire from harness should pull out and can be grounded as was suggested on the second post.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 13:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I guess I'm just a bit hesitant to yank on it to the point of it pulling out...for fear of not being able to manipulate the wire back in when I'm done. I may just go ahead and cut the wire a little upstream of the governor where I have a good visual and can get my fingers better positioned instead... and ground it from there.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
The continuing saga. Just as HH56 remarked earlier, I did discover a hard rubber connector in the wiring between the governor and the main harness. I was hoping this was the cuprit. I managed to disconnect the connector. Then, I checked for continuity between that point and the kickdown switch...it was good. Thus, my problem is either with the connector itself...or somewhere downstream (which equates to the 6 inches of wiring to the governor. Although I will try a replacement connector, I did check for continuity in the existing connector and it seems to check out fine...so I'm baffled. I have a hard time believing that my problem is with the governor or that last 6 inches of wiring...but it certainly could be so.

Now here's my big question. What would happen if I try connecting instead to that unused stretch of wiring that is already there for the non-existent EC?? I'm wondering if that wiring would perform the same function (providing a path to ground) as the other wiring. Thinking out of the box here.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Now that it is disconnected, did grounding the wire to harness try to bring the solenoid in? Of course, ign on and all other switches need to be set for overdrive for that to happen. If so, then problem is with governor--if not, then problem is toward the kickdown sw and overdrive relay.

Governor wires perform the same function to ground but at different times. Right now with the car standing, one of the wires (the unused one) to governor should be grounded, the other not.

The grounded wire would go to the Electromatic clutch if you had it so all those circuits would be active while you are starting out. As soon as the car reaches speed, that wire will open disabling all the clutch circuits and at the same time the other wire would be grounded telling the overdrive it can engage.

It would not be possible to operate the OD on the unused wire.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 18:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Oh, well...so much for thinking out of the box on the EC wire...I kinda figured I wouldn't be that lucky!

Although I haven't grounded the circuit from this connection point near the governor, I have grounded it from the kickdown switch...and the solenoid snaps to attention. And since I have continuity from there to the connection that is giving me fits, I would conclude that my problem rests with the governor. If this is the case, I think I'll need to surrender and give thought to wiring a driver-operated toggle switch arrangement in order to ground the OD circuit when I want to. Unless I shrink myself to 1/43 scale, there is no way I'll be able to remove that governor.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Cut a hole in the floor

Posted on: 2010/10/24 21:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
That thought had crossed my mind...

Posted on: 2010/10/24 21:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you pulled back the carpet or looked up at the floor above trans. Some 23rd series had a large removable plate over trans hump held on with screws. I don't know if that was only on the Ultramatic cars of if maybe they had only one body stamping and all did.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 21:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Update: My trouble is definitely associated with the pigtail attached to the governor...or something internal to the governor. True to HH56's speculation, I have indeed detected the presence (looking up from underneath the transmission) of a plate (appears somewhat oval in shape) held on by several screws! Now the task will be to gain access to the governor from above...which may still prove difficult without causing significant damage to the carpeting (which appears to be attached with adhesive). More later on this Easter Egg hunt.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 6:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
put the back end up on jack stands -start the car and put it in gear and then see if you get a ground when you get over 30 MPH. You might just have a corroded connector.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 8:02
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved