Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

azpack400, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Bendix Treadle Vac failure (Easamatic)
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Eric54
Just out of curiosity how many MILES did the BTV last?????
I'm assuming the car was always stored under ideal conditions???? At least in a garage with good floor most of the time????

Posted on: 2011/9/19 15:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The brake pedal went slowly to the floor. With minimal braking action. Thank god for the recently adjusted Emergency brake! On repeated pumps, I got some braking action back. But it wasn't right.

I drove slowly home, on pins and needles. With the Emergency Brake as my backup. It worked beautiful, by the way. Better, I thought, than a 2 wheel mechanical brake ever would.

Funny, but that almost exactly describes my experience with the dual (tandem) master cylinder, diagonally-split, ABS on my 1998 Chevy.

It was on my way back home from work, about five years ago. I had just come down the steep west hill, through the stop-n-go gauntlet of downtown (with no problem), and pulled into BK to grab a Whopper. Yet, coming up to the drive-thru window, WITH NO WARNING WHAT SO EVER, the brake pedal went to the floor. I would have blown right past the window and into a busy state highway, except for the "parking brake". (Luckily, I knew how to work around GM's modern type of release.)

Instead, I was able to baby the car home, another mile or so, on the p-brake. When I looked under the car, I found the rear brake lines were rusted and dripping at just one spot, but I was unable to sufficiently cinched them to stop the leak. I didn't feel like pissing around with this kind of work in the driveway during the winter, wasn't sure I had compatible flaring tool, and didn't have the means to park the ABS for bleeding. So, I called a tow truck, and insurance co. picked up the tab for that.

Turns out only ONE of the lines was leaking, but I had both rear lines completely replaced - front-to-back. Yet, the fact remains that I would NOT have been able to stop the car safely had it not been for the "parking brake" - though it only applied the rear DRUM brakes. That's not the first time that something like that happened to me in a vehicle with a dual-reservoir master cylinder, either.

DON'T get lulled into a false sense of security with ANY dual-reservoir master cylinder. No matter what vehcle you drive, DO make sure that your "parking brake" is in good working order and that your brake servos are properly adjusted.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 16:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
To PackardV8:

I've owned the car since 1971. Put on about 5,000 miles, in that time. So approximately 2,500 miles in the last 20 years. Staten Island is no fun to drive in, too much gridlock. I take it to local shows and an occational jaunt to Jersey. The car is in a non-heated garage with a concrete floor. Always under cover.

This car is well maintained by me. I don't have a lift, so It's done with 4 jack stands and a creeper. I know that Dot3/4 brake fluid has an affinity to water. I usually run new fluid through it every 3-4 years.

The car is put away for now. When I pull the BTV, I'll try to determine the failure and keep you posted.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH Quote:
DON'T get lulled into a false sense of security with ANY dual-reservoir master cylinder. No matter what vehcle you drive, DO make sure that your "parking brake" is in good working order and that your brake servos are properly adjusted.

Brian, great advice. I would add one thing: practice using just your E-brake somewhere isolated. If you over apply it and/or cannot release/modulate it, you can lock the rear brakes, skid and spin out.

As an aside, my Gen-2 (1970-81) Firebirds have a switch on the "proportioning valve" that turns on a light on the bottom of the speedometer when either the front or rear brake pressure drops WRT the other. This tells you that something is wrong, like a leaky rear wheel cylinder or whatever. Didn't your 1998 Chevy have that feature?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/19 19:00
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
GM's original implementation of a ratcheting, pedal-activated parking brake, with separate release, was a no-brainer (though a bit contorted): just pull and hold the release while "modulating" that pedal.

However, the push-on/push-off of more recent years requires a bit more forethought/practice.

BTW, the brake and/or ABS light did come on - when the pedal went to the floor.

EDIT (20011/09/20 9:30AM): While use of the "parking brake" for emergency stops works with previous 4-wheel disc brake systems, I do NOT recommend it with GM's implementation of same since 2000. That design uses a single shoe that is expanded against the inside of the hub area of the rear rotor (acting as a mini-drum), but that shoe is anchored by a single, metal clip, which is fastened with a single rivet or screw. Personally, I don't believe that this attachment would hold up in a panic stop.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH Quote:
BTW, the brake and/or ABS light did come on - when the pedal went to the floor.

Yeah, I can see where that would be quite helpful.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/19 19:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Erik,

I'll be glad to drive over to "not-fun-to-drive-in" Staten Island with a rebuilt unit under my arm and help you install it at no charge in exchange for your old unit to disassemble and diagnose. Deal??. Well, it'll cost you a cup of it tea.
Fred

Posted on: 2011/9/19 20:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
To Fred Kanter:

Thanks, very nice offer Fred. I've got one better. As soon as I get it off, I'll bring it to you. I've been to Boonton, I buy my parts there. This way you don't have to get stuck in gridlock and cuss me out.

Oh, by the way, I'll bring the tea. How do you take it?

Thanks
Warren

Posted on: 2011/9/20 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Erik,

Just let me know when, if daytime is inconvenient can meet you at the shop in the evening or weekends, need some notice.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 21:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved