Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: replacing push-button motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"The pressure switch that allows current for PNR has gone out on me causing ..."

ok. so it affects "N" too. I was never really sure. But "N" is important to have functional in the case that the car stalls at speed, like making a turn at 15 mph.

I bypassed the pressure switch on my car. Like the auto park function the pressure switch doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone press P or R at speed any faster or easier than moving a selector lever to P or R at speed????

Posted on: 2011/10/16 19:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Well, why do they engineer cars the way they do today??
It is because people make mistakes.
Not everyone is perfect. Some of us do err on occasion.
But let me ask a question.
Why were you never really sure? The owners manual and wiring diagrams are all here on this site. If you ever had the covering off the PushButton control you could look at the wiring and figure it out quite easily.
How long have you driven this car?
And you were never really sure????

Posted on: 2011/10/16 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Question to those that have selector LEVER 56 T'Ultra:

When LEVER is placed in nuetral does the car seem to creep forward??????

My Push button 56 Executive does. Doesn't exactly move any but it feels like it maybe moves a 1/2" as if there is some drag let over from "D".

Posted on: 2011/10/16 21:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Don't recall such a condition in my first Pat with manual selector.

If the push button control actuator is correctly adjusted to tranmission, with control valve properly seated in detents, then perhaps the low range band is too tight or hasn't released completely when you experienced this.

Posted on: 2011/10/16 21:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mine doesn't creep but it's not quite all relaxed either. Kind of thought it might be idle speed since there is a lot of stuff rotating--even though nothing is held. It doesn't bother me so never really looked into it. The SM does give some things to check if yours is excessive.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.95 KB)
209_4e9b9541ca77a.jpg 1068X305 px

Posted on: 2011/10/16 21:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe Nuetral "creep" in my 56 Exec is not bad enuf to address either. It's just something i've never noticed in any other automatic transmission. I just have to be careful when the car is parked very close to other objects. It will try to creep in park too. I can live with it. Just offered it as an observation.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RB. I was never really sure because i eleminated the Auto park AND the pressure switch (leaking and other problems) about 2 years after igot the car and that was about 12 years and 25K + miles ago.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I finally opened up the PB motor that I removed from Best Other. It is cooked. It got so hot it melted the enamel from the armature and fields. It is now a large paper weight.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 0:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Brings back memories. I had a 54 Buick Road Monster that would creep in neutral if the engine was reved slightly.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 1:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
I finally opened up the PB motor that I removed from Best Other. It is cooked. It got so hot it melted the enamel from the armature and fields. It is now a large paper weight.

That's depressing. Not like they grow new motors anymore. Hopefully your parts shelf had a few spares to pick from.

Were you able to figure out what happened first--wonder if the relay contacts stuck and failed to cause it all or did the fingers fail or sector overrun and keep the relay energized.

I'm almost tempted to make changes-- that PB breaker out to a different type and add something to lighters. The heavier fuse suggested might not be a bad idea but a type II or III circuit breaker on the PB wiring might be better if it could be disguised to look similar to the original.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 11:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved