Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" Revisited
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
chuck wrote:

Quote:
I have always heard that torsion level cars can be damaged unless one uses a wheel lift. Any thoughts?

That's gotta be another one of those urban legends promoted by detractors of these fine cars. In other words, someone is feeding you a load of crap.

Though not stated in the shop manual, all the precautions you need to know about raising a car equipped with T-L - with a lift, hoist, or jack - can be found in STB 54T-19, which is why we have the online Service Index.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Chuck,
Your posting sent me searching through my Owner's Manual and the FSM. As near as I can make out the main thing to look out for on a Frame Contact Hoist is that the Rear Load Arms must never be used to raise the car. The same applies to the front Wheel Support Arms where the lower shock ends are lower than the Support Arms they are attached to. In other words, the hoist's lift pads must never contact the lower attaching "bolt" of the shocks. Mine already has one bent shock end that was done by/for a previous owner.

The only thing we need to watch out for is that the lift pads of the hoist only come in contact with the frame and of course that the Torsion-Level system is switched "OFF".

If you are doing work involving the front suspension or steering like the King-Pins, then it gets a little tricky. But for just brake work it should be OK.

However I may be wrong so anyone with more Packard experience than I (and that includes probably 99% of the group) please jump in and correct me.

My test drive got delayed today as the shop had some urgent repair work on other customer's cars and I got called in to fill in for the employee that got fired this morning.

So, I probably won't get to drive it 'til Monday.

Thanks for the head's up re: the hoist.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2011/10/27 22:58
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
chuck wrote:

Quote:
I have always heard that torsion level cars can be damaged unless one uses a wheel lift. Any thoughts?

That's gotta be another one of those urban legends promoted by detractors of these fine cars. In other words, someone is feeding you a load of crap.

Thanks BH, that's good to hear!

Jim

Posted on: 2011/10/27 23:01
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved