Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"Waking Sleeping Beauty" Revisited
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
It's been a real long time since I posted about the state of my '55 Patrician. Some health issues (creeping old age) have pretty much kept wrenches out of my hands.

This Spring I had the car towed to my mechanic as I didn't trust the brakes. The occasion was that my mechanic was done with my '51 Packard. The deal I had with him was that he and his crew would work on my Packards during slow periods.

Well a week and a half ago I got a call from him saying they finally were starting work on the '55 and he had a shopping list of brake parts he wanted me to get.

I'm having the car pretty much gone through. So far they've got all the brake parts and according to the phone call I got yesterday, the brakes are about done. While the car was up in the air they went through the rear axles and differential with new fluid and seals for all of that. They've also dropped the transmission pan and cleaned that out and put in fresh Type "F" fluid. The bearings and seals have also been done on the front.

I'm expecting a call today or tomorrow telling me to come out and do something I've been waiting 56 years for. That of course is to "Test Drive" a 1955 Packard with Torsion-Level Suspension. The main thing though is to put the Twin Ultramatic through it's paces and see how it comes out.

Assuming the TU works as it should, it will just mean dropping the Engine Oil Pan and cleaning it and the pick-up screen, replacing all hoses and checking the source of the leak in the Power Steering.

I'm getting so excited, that I can hardly sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's like I was 8 years old again and my Packard is under the Christmas Tree.

More after the "Test Drive" !

Jim L. in OR

Attach file:

jpg  (25.64 KB)
3087_4ea8729c400aa.jpg 870X651 px

jpg  (52.42 KB)
3087_4ea87308b169f.jpg 870X651 px

jpg  (55.40 KB)
3087_4ea87365c5bc8.jpg 870X651 px

Posted on: 2011/10/26 15:46
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" Revisited
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Jim, I remember the feeling! Take plenty of pics and get back to us for the virgin ride.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 16:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Glad to see an update. I wondered how you and your car were doing a couple of times this summer.

Hope all goes well on your maiden voyage. I am a few years away from mine.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Will do Randy - especially now that either posting pictures has gotten easier or I've gotten luckier.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Portlandon, we (my Patrician and I) both seem to be on the mend. I just wish it could have happened before the Summer rather than after. I can't complain too much though, as I'm getting a discount on the work for my patience.
I'll be posting all the details when the "virgin ride" happens.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
JIM L. in Oregon,

Congrats! I love your Patrician's color combination. Good experiences await! You will have soooo much fun driving that Packard down the road.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 20:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, now would be a good time, when the Patrician is on the rack, to give it a complete chassis lube job. I understand this is important for the torsion level equipped Packards. I hope the car meets your expectations. Please keep us informed.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/26 21:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Kevin. I like the colors too. A very large part of the paint is original and I'm amazed how well it has held up. I am so looking forward to being able to drive it faster than 5 mph. We've got good weather this week in Portland as well. At least that's the latest - when Autumn comes to the NW, the forecast changes constantly but I've got my fingers crossed.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2011/10/26 22:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hey, JW - great minds running in the same etc. I've been thinking the same thing as I know the last time everything was lubed was before 1985. I've been re-reading some of the postings about what kind of grease to use on what, where.
Hopefully tomorrow will be the day if more emergency customer repairs don't come in as they have to come first.
Here's hoping!

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2011/10/26 22:53
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
Beautiful car! I'm trying to restore a 55 Patrician, but have same problems you do (getting old). I notice that the shop is using a frame lift. I have always heard that torsion level cars can be damaged unless one uses a wheel lift. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/10/27 8:37
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved