Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

HH56, classiclincoln, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Still finalizing a/c decisions on components.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nostalgic Air has an evaporator that might fit nicely. 16" W x 10" d x 5" high and is fairly flat. Not quite as high in the rear as the MarkIV and the motor is well away from the feet. Looks like it should fit on the hump & be low and far enough back to clear the door. NostalgicAir

They have several others in different configurations which might be smaller than the Vintage unit--although maybe not much help since you already have something.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.00 KB)
209_4eb31c6d10a85.jpg 546X210 px

jpg  (14.46 KB)
209_4eb32b2687e4f.jpg 552X223 px

Posted on: 2011/11/3 17:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not sure how to plumb it but maybe run the trunk mount unit AND a real small under dash or hump mount unit.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 18:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The nostalgic air unit i9s tantalizing, due to its small size. I can't imagine that you couldn't hump mount it or hang it, but I will talk to them tomorrow.

]Would the hose fittings be compatible?

Is this a decent company? Anyone using their products? How noisy is it in use?

For those who wish to look things up, the vintage air units are on page 60 of the online catalog. I currently have the 11301 VUY-A unit, cool only......

As noted elsewhere, back seat legroom is splendid; the front seat not so much, partly due to the deepness of the dash and a bit due to the grossly over sized unmovable steering wheel. The person who created that wheel clearly understood the idea behind "give me a lever and I will move the world". IMHO they stood 5'7" or so in the bargain.

As to moving the seat back, every time I mention it the mechanic in question goes into spasms and asks for engineering studies on the subject. I don't get it. 9 bolts and kazing. Shouldn't take over an hour.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 20:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The unit you have is extra wide so I can see the problem.

I bought an indash Nostalgic unit and several other individual pieces from them over the last year. A good company to do business with. I had a change of plans so didn't use it as they designed it but is a decent unit. I don't think their evaporators come with other than the bolt locations on the side for mounting. There is flexibility for many arrangements with the included straps but your installer would probably have to fabricate something for the tunnel situation.

Blower noise is typical for an aftermarket unit. Not horrible but noticeable. Nostalgia's case is ABS plastic so the metal MarkIV has it there. No idea on the Vintage unit construction as their specs don't mention much. Most of the aftermarket units use standard O ring fittings so the hoses SHOULD fit. Without seeing the Vintage, couldn't say for sure though.

I can understand the mechanics concern on moving the seat but the Packard has one long reinforcing plate that extends well past the holes on both sides. His reference is probably with newer cars where reinforcement in the floor is limited. Shouldn't be an issue but am sure he is looking at liability issues.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Shouldn't be an issue but am sure he is looking at liability issues.

You would not believe the difficulty I had getting seat belts installed.

Not just one mechanic; all of them. better with non Packard people I have know for a long time. Packard guys all act like they've been whipped too often....then you car sits for four months on something where they have all the parts.......and you wonder if their "expertise" in old cars is really a retreat from day to day reality??????

Posted on: 2011/11/3 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen writes:
"Not just one mechanic; all of them. better with non Packard people I have know for a long time..."

Huh ???? U actualy found more than 1 person that claims to be a packard mechanic???? In all of the years i lived in Detroit and had close associations with the auto industry i never heard of anyone claiming to be a Packard mechanic except for a 1/2 dozen old timers that worked on 30's and 40's models among many other car makes. They all passed away decades ago.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 22:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U're in Chicago. Should be plenty of 'speed shops' (younger set building drifters, rats, ghetto crusisers etc) that would be more than happy to install seat belts and do some custom fab work such as AC and seat position changes. Mite have to go a little inner city or rural which ever is closest for such providers. Trying to get anyone out in the lilly white, mall-rat mortgage city 'burbs to do anything out of the ordinary is a contradiction of that environment.
Dealing with run of the mill common garden vareity auto service shops is almost impossible. They strictly want to R&R parts that they can buy across the street from discount auto parts stores. Basically they just place a round peg in a round hole and square peg in a square hole.

I lived in a Detroit suburb for 30 years. Nearly all of my escapdes with cars and motysickles were border line inner city, VERY rural or industrial communities. All of them at least a 10 mile drive from my residence at the time.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
" The person who created that wheel clearly understood the idea behind "give me a lever and I will move the world". "

No. The steering wheel is that large for a variety of GOOD reasons. The proper stance for operating an autombile is to have the steering wheel close enuf to the chest such that the forearms can rest on the steering wheel while the hands are placed at the 10:00 'o'clock and 2 o'clock position. This is most comfortable for LONG HARD Cruises. There are other good reasons.

The small modern steering wheel of todays automobiles is strictly a cost savings for the manufacturer.

However, your claim that they all stood 5'7" is probably true in view of how close the steering wheel sets to the pedals.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
COmfort analysis.

Declare yourself to the world and family as 'out of pocket' one day for about 2 hours. Grab a couple of cream puffs and a glass of cherry wine. GO sit (not drive) quietly and with no disturbances in the car for about a 1/2 hour and study it's contours and ergonomics of the interior. I believe u will come to some new realizations as to what needs to be done to improve the comfort.

U'll notice that the interior door surface tapers up toward the driver s shoulder. The steering wheel is just too damned close to the dash for anyone over 5' 11". THe door arm rest is very skimpy. Ashtray positions and quantity is superb and optimal BUT so damned tiny that it is difficult to barely stick a finger in it while sitting in the seat.

I'm not attempting to tear down the car. My 56 Execis very comfortable. Most comfortable car i've ever owned except maybe for a 53 Hudson i had at one time. My only point here is to take time to study the comfort issues rather than to jump to conclusions about seats, steering wheels etc. Nothing wrong wit h their design nor size. It's just the positioning that needs to be changed.

Then park the car under a second story window of the house or some building. Car facing building. Go to second story and look out the window at it and kind of smoke over the contours and shapes of the exterior.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
quote:
" The person who created that wheel clearly understood the idea behind "give me a lever and I will move the world". "

No. The steering wheel is that large for a variety of GOOD reasons. The proper stance for operating an autombile is to have the steering wheel close enuf to the chest such that the forearms can rest on the steering wheel while the hands are placed at the 10:00 'o'clock and 2 o'clock position. This is most comfortable for LONG HARD Cruises. There are other good reasons.

I always assumed it was so large because it is a legacy item from pre-power steering days. The bigger the wheel the more leverage in turning.....

Posted on: 2011/11/4 16:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved