Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: engine wont turn over!! help!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Could it be that the pilot bushing I had machined is too thick? I had it made to the dimensions on the crank bore, so maybe I should have it machined thinner?

Posted on: 2012/1/20 23:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Guess anything is possible. Any chance it is so tight so as to have kept the input shaft from seating all the way inside. If so, maybe no endplay and shaft is now being forced back into transmission causing a bind. Same could be true of crank being forced forward. Loosen the bolts holding trans to bellhousing a couple of turns and see if it frees anything up. You may have to support somewhere else in middle when doing that so there is no shaft angle or misalignment confusing the issue.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 10:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Fory:

Pilot Bushing? Packard always used a bearing. You can get it at NAPA - Sorry I forget the number - or any of the major Packard vendors.

Anyway, loosen the transmission bolts and pry a little.

If the unit frees up there is definitely a problem in there.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did the trans work just fine BEFORE u removed it???? There is nothing wrong with the pilot bearing relative to this condition. THis condition is very peculiar. There are really only two or 3 possibilites.
1. A mounting bolt SOMEHWERE is TOO long and binding on a moving part.
2. Something wrong INTERNALLY with the trans.

When u say that the engine will "not turn over" does that mean it will not move NONE, ZERO movement WHATSOEVER or does that mean it WILL move even just a little bit???

Posted on: 2012/1/21 11:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just a reminder on the pilot bearing. Believe that was covered in your posts of last July on the subject. Since you made the bushing instead, perhaps it is too long as you surmise?? Anyway as Fred mentioned, that particular bearing is unique to Packard for that year. If so, doubt you will find one at a parts store.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 12:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check crankshaft endplay. IF no end play then back off trans mounting bolts just a few turns to see if it frees up. I guess it could be pilot bearing after all.

Is it a ball or roller type pilot bearing or a bushing???

Posted on: 2012/1/21 12:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Woo hoo!!! Solved the problem!! The bushing I had made was a little thick, so I turned it down on the lathe until it seemed good on the input shaft. After the trans went back on everything felt good, turned easily, and disengaged as it should. Thanks for all the help!!!

Sorry to those that read this earlier...... I wrote it while on my phone and the darn auto-correct butchered it... My apologies.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 2:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved