Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: fram paper filter for the 53 intake
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thanks for the info on the filter material. I may look into getting a replacement mesh one, if nothing else just for looks. I guess mine is just so old and coroded it fell apart.... Kind of like the rest of the car. LOL!!

Posted on: 2012/4/18 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I bow to Dr. Dyneto's and t'others advice regarding oil bath air cleaners' efficiency. They're certainly better than the oiled mesh. But i thought a quality modern paper filter caught smaller microns than even an oil bath. I maintained the oil bath in my '47 Super Clipper as Packard, Gaia, the Great Spirit, Zeus, and Minerva intended, but finally, at the behest of a longtime fellow 356 owner, installed an unseen modern paper filter. A Wicks 87055 is a perfect fit as though it were made for the Packard oil bath.

Given my car's once in a blue moon exercise runs to keep her fettled, and that we don't live in the Dust Bowl, i imagine the hair splitting's moot. But it would be interesting to see some industrial tests comparing oil bath/modern paper air filters.

For some reason, i seem to recall some heavy equipment yet uses an oil bath air cleaner in the 21st Century.

I detest the least butchering and have no interest in street rods. But as naught was altered by substituting the Wicks filter and it's unseen while protecting the engine, i'm happy with it. BTW, i notice not the least difference in sound, performance, anything, noting one of the previous comments.

However, if using the oil bath in its original manner is demonstrably superior, let us see some tech/engineering data, as i'm sure it exists.

'Course, i'm still hoping for someone to unearth sanctioned top speed runs of '41-42 Buick Model 60/70 with the rare, no-cost optional 3.6:1 "economy" rear axle and 1942-47 Packard Super Clipper w/ od.

Hope springs eternal.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 4:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just to kick this dying horse one more time, I offer the following.

Years ago, I had a 1966 Corvair Monza Sport Coupe. It was a nice little car, dependable, easy to work on, and a good driver (especially in the winter).

It came with two air filters, the standard pleated paper type and an oil-bath type, factory installed. The oil-bath type was the primary filter. I believe the reason for this belt and suspenders arrangement was to make sure the dusty desert southwest air was thoroughly cleaned. The Corvair was probably more prone to ingesting dirty air because of all the air circulating in the engine compartment. Anyway, the pleated paper element remained clean for long periods. It hardly ever needed servicing in the many years I owned the car. The oil-bath did its job and was regularly serviced.

Modern filter element for convenience, and original oil-bath or oiled-mesh types if you want the car to be authentic and like servicing the components.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/19 12:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
JW, if forgiven our momentary brand X divergence, i fathom your affection for your '66 Monza. My young uncle, then a rocket tech at the Cape, owned the identical model after his wife tired of juggling their two small boys in the cockpit of his daily driver Jag XK-120 roadster back in the run-what-you-brung racing days. And a friend just across the lazy river in NJ had a pair of Corvairs which were, as you mention, excellent winter cars.
Funny. Ralph Nader never said anything about the first-generation Corvair the roadtest monthlies hadn't also decried. Decades later, the Corvair Club had Ralph Nader as a guest, gave him a standing ovation.

But, then as now, being a grille man and prefering my cylinders up front and in a row, i never studied any of the above cars' engine bays and noted the oil bath.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 15:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved