Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Some general questions about 30's Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The earlier comment that Packard went to (all) steel bodies with the introduction of the 120 in 1935 is not quite correct. Prior to 1938, the convertibles had structural wood in the body at the trunk area, and the closed cars had a small amount for the roof insert. 1938 began all steel bodies for the juniors, 1939 for the Super 8s, and 1940 across the line.

Posted on: 2008/5/10 18:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tomsriv
See User information
Thanks Owen for the answer on the wood. Although I am not afraid to take a car apart, clean it up, and repaint it, the thought of replacing a bunch of structural wood scares me. Since I won't be buying a convertible I guess I don't have much to worry about. At least roof wood doesn't require taking much apart and it is probably not a fancy piece of wood like a door frame would be.

And once again, I would love to have a STRAIGHT 8 if thats what the car came with or if it will fit. Since Packards are famous for being so smooth I don't think I would try to hop up the stock motor since that would cause it to idle rough and lose its character. Hopefully I will be posting more when my dreams become reality, at least now I know a little bit more about what I am looking at.

Posted on: 2008/5/11 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I believe the 1938 and '39 Sixes used the Pines Winterfront as well.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I wouldn't let the fact that a car is of composite (wood and steel) construction turn me away from a car that I really wanted, the range of condition of the wood in such bodies can vary from nearly perfect to absolutely terrible. My own 34 Eight (closed car) has all original wood and is in near-perfect condition. Convertibles tend to have the worst problems. And closed cars where the fabric roof insert has leaked can also be a nightmare. Each car needs to be evaluated for it's own individual condition, you may find what you want without a wood problem. Though prospective sellers aren't likely to let you pull door panels and the like to examine the wood, checking for looseness in how the doors hang, and feeling the base of the doors can usually reveal problems.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 8:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Now when you speak of "roof wood" in a composite (wood frame/metal skin) body you are talking about the main structural members of the body, the roof will have a soft insert that is covered in oil cloth or other leather-like (but usually NOT leather) material, with batting underneath, supported by chicken wire, tacked to the "joists" (not actually called that, I invoke that term for ease of understanding) of the main wood body structure.
A bad soft roof insert and mean bad (wetted, rotten) wood in the body structure, so it's good to know what you are walking into.
The first place to look at a wood body is the styles, the two main laterial/horizontal frame members that are the base of the wooden structure, and the short runners that connect the two and form the body frame. If they are rotted nothing else is going to line up or stay lined up.
The second place to look is under the soft roof insert, then the bottom of the doors.

You'll need Norm Abrahms and his New Yankee workshop if you have problems in these bodies.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
The first place to look at a wood body is the styles, the two main laterial/horizontal frame members that are the base of the wooden structure, and the short runners that connect the two and form the body frame. If they are rotted nothing else is going to line up or stay lined up.
The second place to look is under the soft roof insert, then the bottom of the doors.

You'll need Norm Abrahms and his New Yankee workshop if you have problems in these bodies.
Like mine where but since have been replaced.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.24 KB)
44_4828a7e0952d7.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (34.52 KB)
44_4828a7ea49a4f.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (36.84 KB)
44_4828a7fe3da48.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/5/12 15:26
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
Tom
It looks (from pics) that the wooden replacements are Poplar wood. Was that the original material used or your choice? I don't own one, just wanted to know.
Thanks Redron

Posted on: 2008/5/13 12:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many Packard publications discussed the types and qualities of the wood used in their body construction. They note ash, maple and birch being used primarily. I think poplar would be a particularly poor choice for a car body, it rots much too easily.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
RedRon,

Owen is right the wood in my car is ash. And that is what I replace it with. Originally the sills were made up with 3-4 different lengths that were tongue and grooved and then I believe glued together. I replaced it with one solid piece. I can't take credit for shaping this piece. I had a friend of mine do that for me. He is also doing the door panel for me. :)

Posted on: 2008/5/13 20:54
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Some general questions about 30's Packard's
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The wood preferred by many custom body builders during the Golden Age was English Ash, because of it straight grain.
For every inch of thickness of the wood it must be aged one year.

One thing that can be said with the introduction of the 120, is that it certainly started Packard down the road of modern steel constructed bodied cars.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/14 19:53
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved