Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Oil Pressure Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I am interested but what oil pump is used with the kit. I did some reading of prior threads which showed a picture of the Olds Conversion pump and kit but didn't mention the pump info. I then went to the Meiling site and looked up Olds pumps and, again by picture, saw that the High Volume pump (M22fhv) looked like the one in the thread pics. Is that the Olds pump everyone is talking about?

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:05
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
I handled a 54 Desoto V-8 with the same problem. Take it out and the oil pressure would drop off dramatically. The owner brought it in and requested a new oil pump. Okay. The new pump made no difference. The car had 93,000 miles on it and perhaps 193,000 and was quiet. Probably worn out cam bearings. I think he might have also asked for new rod bearings too.

Did the DeSoto's oil pressure return to normal after sitting for half an hour or so? My pressure (the car's oil pressure as opposed to my blood pressure) is within specs so long as I don't drive over about 50 mph.

Thank you for your help with this Tim.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
...saw that the High Volume pump (M22fhv) looked like the one in the thread pics. Is that the Olds pump everyone is talking about?

It is. Here is an excerpt from Craig's original instructions. If Jack has any different instructions for his kits, maybe he could post them.

You need to modify:
Grind slightly at corner shown on attached JPG, if necessary.
Cut off approx 1-1/2 of dipstick tube (interferes with Olds pickup)

You buy a Melling 22-FHV oil pump and Melling 22-FHVS screen and pickup

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Again, thank you Howard! Did you mean to attach a link to Craig's instructions - a picture is mentioned in the excerpt you included? If not, I'll look it up.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When u buy the Olds pump BE SURE to look at the bottom plate of the pump. While looking at the bottom plate turn the shaft and u should see the OPPOSITE end of the shaft turning in the lower plate. The 22FHV has a LOWER support for the inout shaft that the standard Olds pump does not have.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 14:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Jim L. in OR wrote:
Again, thank you Howard! Did you mean to attach a link to Craig's instructions - a picture is mentioned in the excerpt you included? If not, I'll look it up.

Jim, I didn't post the pict originally because I don't know if Jacks mount has the same issue. Just for reference with credits to Craig, here is what he mentioned in his instructions. Jack would need to say if it is still applicable.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.27 KB)
209_4ff353d94acd8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/3 15:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jim:

In the case of the DeSoto once the car cooled off the oil pressure came back up, but was always pretty rotten. Keep in mind that the gauge and sender weren't rebuilt, but that it started out okay and consistently got lousy as the oil heated up. You really don't need a lot of oil pressure to keep lifters quiet. Also, the owner thought this was a low mileage car and so he didn't like the low oil pressure at idle. The visual problem was that the oil pressure was too heavily correlated with motor rpm which indicates high mileage. Lifter noise in the Packard V-8 is a rather unique case because it happens at road speeds. I've seen known shot motors with quiet lifters, for example a Chrysler 318 with oil pump failure and quiet lifters.

For your car there is another possibility which has to do with the pick up. The drain plug on the Packard V-8 is in a lousy location and responsible for sludging. I've had machine shops tell me that the Packard V-8 is the dirtiest engine they have seen. Although I doubt they are old enough to remember the Chevrolet 235 six which would literally fill to the top with sludge.

Anyway, the oil pickup may be clogging from crap in the oil pan. So first step is overfill the oil level by one quart and retest. If no change then pull the oil pan. If the siutation is better suspect an oil pump issue.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Jim, I didn't post the pict originally because I don't know if Jacks mount has the same issue. Just for reference with credits to Craig, here is what he mentioned in his instructions. Jack would need to say if it is still applicable.

The minor interference would be the same. It's no big deal as minor grinding on the oil pump at the location show usually solves it without compromising the pump.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/3 16:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote: So first step is overfill the oil level by one quart and retest. If no change then pull the oil pan. If the siutation is better suspect an oil pump issue.

Good luck with your car.

Update time folks,

I did as Tim suggested and poured a quart of oil into my crankcase. I would have to say that the situation is better but not dramatically so. The oil pressure shoots up to around spec when the engine RPM are increased but it did that before though not as much. At idle and in gear the pressure drops to around 5 psi when hot as opposed to flat level zero. It struck me that while I was test driving this evening that if the Patricians had an Oil Light instead of a gauge, we probably would not be having this thread as most Owner's Manuals I've seen for cars with idiot lights state that some flickering of the oil light at a stop light is "normal". At around 5 psi, I feel that flickering is probably what I'd get - which is why I prefer gauges.

Of course the 900 pound gorilla in all this is my mystery oil pump. Who can say what is normal when we don't know what normal is? Jack Vines has asked me to send him my old oil pump for a post-mortem when I replace it. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Tim; I'm still puzzling over the DeSoto engine. When it was hot did the oil pressure jump up to around spec when revving the engine?

What I think I'll do now is sleep on it. So I want to thank Tim, Craig, Howard, PackardV8, Randy and Rowdy and everyone else who has lent their brains and experience to this problem. Tomorrow is another day and I'm sure I'll be obsessing about this tomorrow too but for now.....

However if anyone has any brainstorms overnight please pass them on!

Posted on: 2012/7/4 0:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Rowdy,

Thank you for your kind offer. Don't lose sight of your kit as I may be taking you up on it.

Posted on: 2012/7/4 0:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved