Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

53 Cavalier, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 28 »

Re: Howard's 47 Custom project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Howard, wish I was closer. I'd come help.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 9:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the offer. Professional help will surely be needed before this car is done with -- I'm afraid more mental for even taking on the project than physical though.

Called Kanter yesterday morning and they were very responsive. I must say their jumping right on it somewhat surprised me. Waited on the line while Classic was called. Some kind of mixup and he didn't say what so not sure whether they sent or made the wrong item. Kanter's rep said they were remaking the lines on a rush basis and I should have them "in the next few days". We'll see if his and my definition of a few days match. They wasted no time picking up the wrong ones. UPS came by yesterday afternoon with the pickup order.

Just as well it worked out this way. Supposed to be 110 today and I'd be stupid enough to go out in the heat & mess around if they had been here.

As to the tool, I don't see anything I'd call a bump on your photo or my tool -- But frequently I overlook the obvious.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.75 KB)
209_51b34202e5c47.jpg 1280X903 px

Posted on: 2013/6/8 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Sorry to hear of the frustration on parts. I bought a brake set for my 55 at a PAC National meet, I THINK Bruce Blevins made them www.blevins-group.com but I could be wrong. He is listed in the Packard Club Yellow Pages.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
In case you have to do your own lines, there is a better tool than the ones in your photos.

The biggest problems are not having the line cut perfectly square, and when the flaring die is not square with the tubing. The type of tool in the link below solves the die squaring issue. It is also very important to correctly deburr the inside of the line, and to slightly chamfer the outer edge.

Following these principles, I have had success making flared lines.
Square the line, deburr ANC chamfer, then square the die.

This type of tool can be found on Amazon. It also works great in tight places.

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/tip-how-to-better-way-make-brake-line-double-flare-red-rubber-grease.html

Posted on: 2013/6/8 12:34
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brake tubing finally arrived -- the correct ones this time. I have to give credit to the guys at Kanter for getting right on top and solving the issue without a lot of hassle.

Also nice to find the tubing had the protective material placed on before the flares were made so no splitting a hose was required. The 4 pieces installed so far fit nicely with a minimum amount of persuasion language needed. Will do the two over the rear axle later but don't expect any problems.

A couple of minor tweaks to a bend or two but all in all, quite pleased with how the tubing looks and fits.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brake lines are in and well worth the wait before installing the engine. The long tube underneath was wanting all the space that was available to maneuver and go in easily. Speaking of engines, this one hasn't been this close to the rest of the car in a lot of years. Progress, slight as it is, has been made.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.30 KB)
209_51cc9f0c737f2.jpg 640X430 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 15:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Looks like a LOT of progress to me!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 17:59
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Looks that way to me too!

Howard, I fell in love with a Clipper like yours when I got the Septmeber 2006 issue of Hemmings Classic Cars. It had an article (error free for once) and some beartiful pictures (as always) of a 1947 Super Clipper, which I believe is the model just below yours?

Same color too.

If I should win the lottery, a '47 Super Clipper or Custom with Electro-Matic Clutch would definitely be on my short list. With a damaged sciatic nerve for the left leg gained in my youth in which I skied with more enthusiasm than skill, anything that lessens "clutch work" is a definite plus.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 3:09
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been too hot to do much mechanical work so started playing with the dash. Had it bead blasted and now have the first coat of primer on. Will be an on/off again project as the mood strikes.

One thing Ive been looking at is the color of the flocking on the glovebox lid and inside the box proper. Have to order some material and can't decide whether it is a dark brown or a dark gray with lighter traces or if it is something else entirely that has just gotten dirty.

As mentioned before, I'm not artistically inclined but am leaning toward the nylon color of feather brown.http://www.flockit.com/index.php/colorchart/?___store=default

I think it would go with the woodgraining well but would Packard have used something like that? Would sure be open to suggestions if there is an artist in the group or if anyone has a decent condition box & cares to speculate a more appropriate color choice.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 11:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard,
Based upon what I see in my glove box, I think feather brown is by far the best match.
All the best,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/7/2 21:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved