Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That won't work on a V8 starter, as the solenoid on those models pulls the bendix out into the flywheel.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
pulls the bendix out into the flywheel.
I would hope it was an experienced rebuilder who has checked & adjusted the solenoid linkage & clearances so the bendix gear isn't slamming & trying to mesh too far into the flywheel.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's a good idea. I've also seen people leave the small washer off the front of the starter drive shaft, which prevents that from occurring.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 18:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Was the (broken) starter properly shimmed? I know of some signifiacnt mechanical failures resulting from shade tree guys leaving those out. The manual usually gives a clearance value desired, you manually engage the Bendix and insert a gauge rod between the teeth to determine the clearance.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 7:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've never had any problems with a V8 starter and have always checked the clearences stated in the shop manual. There is no mention of shims of any kind. I don't understand how you could manually extend the Bendix and insert anything between the teeth??

Posted on: 2009/10/12 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And I have never seen any starter that required shims other than Chevys.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well I am not sure about any of that. I got a call the morning that the car was ready, but there was no reverse.

I found that to be odd since it had reverse when it went into the shop. I figured o.k. another gremlin pops up. I get to the shop and start it up and pop it into reverse and sure enough it backs up. The mechanic is a ford/chevy guy and he thought the first spot on the gear shift after park was reverse. He was totally unknowledgable that reverse was all the down to the right and never thought to look at the indicator. So now the car is at another shop that is familiar with Packards and he will time it properly. It will be home soon.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
<p>Turbopacman (Eric) wrote:</p>
Quote:
And I have never seen any starter that required shims other than Chevys.

<p>Pontiacs do. However, it is harder to shim the pre-1965 ones that bolt into the bell housing like the Packards as opposed to the 1965+ which bolt to the block.</p>

<p>I had to do a fair amount of modifying and shimming on my 1963 Tempest to get the starter to engage properly. I also had to have the Bendix AND flywheel rebuilt since both were partly broken due to one or the other failing. Eventually, everything worked properly, but it was a PITA. Not something for the weak of heart or light of pocket book.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/10/12 16:00
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, but who in their right mind works on Pontiacs?

Posted on: 2009/10/12 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Now Now Now.......

Let's not get devisive about brand loyalty. There are worse things than owning a 57 F.I. Bonneville convertible or a GTO Judge. The starter and fuel pump are all working properly and hopefully after the timing is checked out and set it will run fine and I can get down to the reassembly process.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 9:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved