Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 »

Re: 56 Patrician bought off ebay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I removed the bolt and extracted the spring. I could not remove the valve itself. The spring is supposed to be 2 5/16" long. This one was 3 1/8".

Wonder if someone had been in there previously and (foolishly) put an early spring in there.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You make a good point BH. The valve itself measures 1 3/4 inches which is the valve length in the earlier versions of the V8 oil pump. Someone has placed the early spring and valve in the late pump body. We shall never know if it was deliberate, a mistake OR if it came from the factory that way. Admittedly that is a long shot.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What is the cast date of your block?

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Should have read that when I had the distributor out.
I will try with a brighter light than my trouble light.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My car has the Olds oil pump. The wipers still work, although an occasional Rain-x treatment is useful as well.

Here in the flatlands it's less an issue I suppose.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 18:50
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The casting date on the Patrician is 3-28-56 with casting number 440971 below that. Car was ordered Jun 07 1956 as specified on the build sheet.
I wounded my left hand on a cotter pin trying to clean off the block enough to read it. Thanks Mike.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Curiouser and curiouser!

While that casting date (3-28-56) predates STB 56T-20 (5-3-56), it falls less than two weeks before the late design pump was introduced in production (4-10-56).

Yet, it's also a little more than a week AFTER a memo was issued to Zones (3-20-56), recommending rework of early design pumps in the field as a confidential trial. That work did NOT involve use of a sump tube, but plugging the relief valve bore, with a modification to the early design relief valve.

Kinda caught in the cusp of things.

Does your Patrician's oil pump body have a casting number of 6492430 to verify that it's a late design pump?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy I hope the wound is not a bad one, and Thank you for getting the information.

BH is ahead of me on his observations.

Here is my block date, and pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.46 KB)
1220_5245e90b7c73d.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (79.13 KB)
1220_5245e91f0a897.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (55.86 KB)
1220_5245e93177353.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
my pump has the bolt like the one on the left, but the casting number is 440???
Hmm it should be a 64 something. I think I mentioned that on my Caribbean pump I sent to Bob Aller.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
From my Caribbean blog;
Upon closer inspection I find I have a modified oil pump and I think Packard did it. That means there are three different oil pumps.
1.The pump used in 1955 and part of 56 which has the relief valve spring contained by a small cup and a cotter pin.
2. A pump which still bears the same casting number 440662, but was never drilled for a cotter pin. The casting is threaded for a bolt with a gasket on it. Packard must have been using up the earlier castings but modifying them for a sealed fit at the pressure relief port. I can't blame Packard for not wanting to scrap a bunch of castings.
3. The modified pump mentioned in TSB 56T-20 which has the casting number 64xxxxx. Actually they could be referring to pump number 2 because it has the threaded plug.

So I have pump number 2 and if my reasoning is correct, it SHOULD have the long valve and spring. It was gunked up badly and maybe the valve was stuck??? I think I'll stick with the plan and install the pump from 3M.
Anyone else have a different take on this?
I think I'm suffering from information overload.
Does any one think Mike's concern for my wound was sincere?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved