Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've likewise heard the stories but have no direct knowledge of any failures. If in fact it did turn out that there are such failures, I'd wonder if they can be tied to radial tire use as they tend to stress suspensions more than bias-ply.

As far as forgings go, it may be a remote example but the low-numbered 1903 Springfield rifles were ultimately unsafe because the forged receivers could shatter. Turns out the culprit was incorrect heat treatment.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah. The article talks about 55-56 Packards with mileage ranges of 150K to 300K miles. Just exactly who is the author of that article trying to target anyway???? I'm guessing some 20-30 year old hens who think their late model Volvo or ugly Avalanche plastic piece of shit with 300K miles on it is the norm.

I'm sure there were maybe but a very few Packards that went that far. By and large and for the most part nearly all cars manufactured prior to about 1970 would rarely make it more than 120K miles before hitting the scrap yard or wound up in some collectors hands as a parade car or trailor queen.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
That was me Ozstatman. I was replying to a question by a potential Packard buyer, asking if there was anything to watch out for in a 53 Packard.

I mentioned the Treadlevac, which was used in many different makes of cars, had a reputation for failing without warning. The modern replacement I referred to, was the ones in this thread. The Packard club, was this forum.

Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to answer a question without going into a lot of detail. In fact I did not over simplify enough as I don't think the questioner understood at all.

The mix up is entirely my fault. It was one of those tiimes when my tongue got in front of my eye teeth and I couldn't see what I was saying.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll check mine anyway. Cleaned off front suspension real clean about 4 months ago so it will be ez to check.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 22:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Try substituting "Packard information forum" for "Packard club" and "talking about endlessly" for "working on" and see if it doesn't make better sense.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 22:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/24 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Craig as i suspected you are a Idiot. no red herring. Read forging failure.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 6:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, T'Packman. I think we are all still most intersted to hear what Packard34 (the originator of this thread) discovers about his Carib brake failure.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 7:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
After reading most if not all of the forums on this subject, I must ask this; Did Bendix or any one ever redesign the master cylinder? From reading it seems the trouble in the Treadle-Vac system all can be rooted back to the master cylinder. For a heavily produced piece of merchandise it seems odd that no-one ever thought to improve upon the original for 50 years. Granted if Bendix had it would have been in the late fifties and wouldn't be a dual master cylinder used widespread in the mid to late sixties and preferred now. It just seems weird to me that nothing else can bolt onto the vacuum unit. I had an old 63 Mercury Breezeway with a single master on it and when it gave out it was replaced with a dual unit. Bolted right onto the booster (which never worked). Just wondering.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 11:21
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The successor to the TV was a GM-made unit, the Delco Morraine, of much the same design.

I've written to the Bendix archivist/historian asking if there were ever any service alerts or modifications to the unit which was in production thru 1962. If in due course I get an answer I'll post it here.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 11:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved