Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 173

Packard Don, Ross, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 »

Re: ANOTHER #%*!:( BTV failure
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
1-7/32" Just past the compensator port toward the front. Yes it does seem to be tapered slightly as my ID mic would only go as far as just past the compensator port. Gimme another 5 minutes or so.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Greater than 1-3/32" at the very bottom of the bore. Call it 1-1/8". The only thing i can find 1.00" about this unit is the trip washer on the end of the ram.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Maybe it's just wore out!

LMFAO!

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The small traper is most likely there for foundry core removal.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ALSO, about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the bore and at the 6'oclock position there is a peculiar round indentation about 1/16" deep and 3/8" in diameter which pretty much blows my foundry core removal theory for the taper.

Edit, no wait a minute, that mite confirm the foundery core removal theory if the core were in 2wo halves parallel to the bore.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
T'Pacman wrote:
"Maybe it's just wore out!

LMFAO!"

OH! yes yes!!! It needs to be sleeved by a qualified, certified, sanctified, christened and cionfirmed and dyed in the wool professional!!! AND done every 3 to 5 years too!!! Gufwah ha ha ha ha ha .

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
BH wrote:
In fact, a Wagner Lockheed Power Brake Replacement Parts catalog from 1960 shows that the same minor repair kit, P/NA FC26869, fits the following models:

58 Mercury (late)
54 Nash Ambassador 60
53-57 Oldsmobile 88, 98
52-56 Packard
53-56 Pontiac

That those vehicles all use the exact same minor kit to service the hydraulic section strongly suggests that the BTV used in the Packard was NOT of an exclusive design.

Major overhaul kits are a whole 'nuther matter; only the 55-56 Pontiac uses the same major kit as the 55-56 Packard. That would seem to indicate that most of the differences lie in the vacuum section.

Great post, Brian

I'm happy that my semi-informed, unread posting style has resulted in your well-informed, well-read response. (I wear the semi-informed label with pride, y'know -- however I object to being called "unread," as that's one of the things I lernt best at school, and don't ever call me a half-assed mechanic, because I'm almost three-quarters-assed almost all the time.)

Brian, the rest of your post goes on to talk about the extent of the research that would be required to find an engineering drawing and/or more detailed parts information on the BTV as installed in the Packard, and I have complete faith in your ability to accomplish this. However, I will also try to contribute some of my usual semi-information on the subject.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 22:54
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Mates,

Further to the question about the stainless steel liner in the BTV rebuilt for me by Karps of CA, it was a stainless steel sleeve for the master cylinder bore. It wasn't absolutely necessary but was an optional extra to increase the lifespan of the reconditioned master cylinder. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/10/15 0:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting find today. While doing my AC conversion, needed to take the BTV out but Surprise! (or not), found reservoir was half empty! Was going to take it out anyway to see if I could come up with another way to mount a modern unit but this kind of forces the issue.

This car is a garage queen with very few miles on it since a full body off several years ago and vendor supplied (rebuilt) BTV. No sign of external leaks. The leakage is approx 7ml in the cup and appears the leather piston seal has also got some on it.

Incidentally, the full stroke fluid output is just over 20ml. Of course, in normal operation it will never go full stroke on purpose so probably average pedal application to cylinders would be half that.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.64 KB)
209_4cb8b0b60d3de.jpg 604X1000 px

Posted on: 2010/10/15 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I am 100% convinced that the fluid in the vacuum chamber is caused by the incorrect reservoir cover gasket. Incidentially, all you really need to do is either cut off the gasket around the return port or just turn it around. The lid fits on either way, with the filler cap to the left or the right, therefore the gasket will too.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 15:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved