Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Al. Look at the VN stamped on the top of the block next to the oil filler tube. Wouldn't that determine CID???? Unless it it is a service replacement engine?????

Also, on the extreme upper right rear corner of the block is an engine # that should determine CID. However, if it is a service replacement engine then that number mite be anything.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 9:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have 2wo blocks here. BOTH are 440275-A. NOTE the "-A" suffix. They are oct and nov 55 blocks. Both are 4" bore. ONE of them is a service replacement engine. The other is not.

Edit: Corrected 44275-a to 440275-A

Posted on: 2009/10/28 9:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Keith

What is the C I D of those engines?????

Also the VIN in the plate next to the oil filler is so worn away that I can only determine 2 numbers, a 4 and a 2.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
IIRC from what Craig and I discussed over three years ago, the 440275-A engines went into Clippers, in 1956. That's why I want to build a database of all these and the cars they came in so we'll know what they are for sure. I think that this is the place to start:
Quote:
Look at Packard Service Technical Bulletin 55T-33, Dealer 24, July 14, 1955. The subject is service engines 55th series.......3 3/16" bore have casting numbers 446521...4" bore 440275.

This would make sense if the 374 is 440971, but doesn't explain the "A" suffix. There has to be a logical reason why it's there.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 12:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 3 3/16 was corrected to read 3 13/16 in a later TSB.
The "A" suffix could be a pattern mark. I'm not picking on anyone's typing ability, but if you don't report these numbers accurately, then it is useless. Is the casting number 440275 or 44275??
The "A" could indicate a drawing revision and they marked the pattern to agree.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 12:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I found a post made a few years ago on the AACA website by some guy named Randy.
It appears they are now doing business as
Custom Coatings
4794-C Woodlane Circle
Tallahassee, Fla 32303
850-562-0538
www.customcoatings.net

Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Yeah from all of the info I have gotten there can be no doubt that the car came with a 352 and someone put on the twin 4 bbl manifold and carbs. Oh Well.

Randy

I found them thru google and called them. They gave me a ball park figure and I will persue it when I can.

Thanks
Al

Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I corrected my above post to read 440275-A. Thanks for catching that RB.

Al. ALL engines and blocks i have are 4" bore. That makes them 352 CID.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

AL wrote:
Yeah from all of the info I have gotten there can be no doubt that the car came with a 352 and someone put on the twin 4 bbl manifold and carbs. Oh Well.

That's an oucher. But then, the '56 352 is plenty potent. It's STILL a Hot Rod Clipper. I wonder if the dual quads are '55 or '56. I've heard there's quite a difference, because in '55 the primaries were larger than the secondaries, and in '56 they used the more typical small primaries/large secondaries setup.

What's your source for "all the info [you] have gotten," if I might ask. And are there other tidbits. This is still the "mystery car," given the apparent originality of the Executive or Senior front clip.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 2:45
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The source for all of the spoken input was from the guy I bought it from. He claims to have gotten it from the son of the original owner. I have an Illinois title with the original owners name on it, but there appears to be no one in that area with that name. The story that my seller tells is that when he bought it from the son, that his father was a Packard employee in Chicago and that he had all of the work done at the dealership he worked at. When I bought it he said it had the 374 C.I. engine. That was really all I had to go by until I got the numbers. However your right whatever the case I do seem to have a mystery car and it is my intent to leave it exactly the way it is and show it that way. I will make no claims of originality, only that this is the way I bought it period.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 9:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved