Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

jgrohn, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 »

Re: ANOTHER #%*!:( BTV failure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ed Strain has commented to me on more than one occasion that sitting idle for prolonged periods of time is very hard on TreadleVacs. He doesn't even recommend keeping a rebuilt spare unit in your personal parts stock for possible future use.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
2wo pages back i pondered:

"IF everything HYDRAuLIC between chevy and Packard are EQAUL then how does the chevy get away with a 3:1 pedal ratio WHILE Packard has a 1:1 pedal ratio???"

The only possible 'guess' i can come up with is that the POWER unit (not the master cylinder) of the High mounted chevy BTV some how multiplies the LENGTH of the stroke toward the master cylinder.

Is this what everyone else understands that i don't???? I'll go back and study the diagrams that HH56 posted earlier and the diagrams in my 56 Motors Manual if that's what is really happening.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 15:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. Does the reservoir top gasket appear to have fully sealed off the "relief port" down the back of the MC????

If so, then the only place where that fluid could escape is thru the rear plunger seal(s).

Posted on: 2010/10/15 15:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It did. I confirmed that after Eric's post.

I cut this one away now because it has to go back in. It really needs to be done and, IMHO, the vendors should make a point of mentioning it. Turning the cap around, am not sure would work well. In the position most have it closer to the fender it's half covered by steering column. Reversed might be a worse pain to remove and you couldn't really see in well. Of course in cars with fact AC, you can't see much anyway..

Posted on: 2010/10/15 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Ed Strain has commented to me on more than one occasion that sitting idle for prolonged periods of time is very hard on TreadleVacs. He doesn't even recommend keeping a rebuilt spare unit in your personal parts stock for possible future use.
A good point and I wonder how many failures can be attributed to that.

If you ever run across him at a meet, maybe you'd be willing to ask if there is any differences between the Packard V8 units that seem to fail and the other cars that apparently don't.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 15:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, next time I chat with Ed I'll try to remember to ask him about that.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Turning the cap around, am not sure would work well. In the position most have it closer to the fender it's half covered by steering column. Reversed might be a worse pain to remove and you couldn't really see in well. Of course in cars with fact AC, you can't see much anyway..

Don't turn the cap around, just the gasket. I mentioned the fact that the cap can go on either way meaning the gasket will as well.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Gufwah HA HA HA Ha ha ha ha..... I need to go change my pants now. GUFWAH hahahahahaha..... Thanks for clearing that up Eric about the gasket and not the lid!! Gufwah hahaha...

Posted on: 2010/10/15 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well some people need to be spoonfed instructions...

Posted on: 2010/10/15 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm glad I could provide the evenings amusement. Like others, sometimes I don't think things through before making stupid comments.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 22:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved