Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 »

Re: Packard Monte Carlo
Just popping in
Just popping in

Geoffrey Hacker
See User information
Hi Gang...

Here's a short 4 min video I did earlier today after we cleaned out the Monte Carlo. We've since learned it is a 1948 Super Convertible so forgive the error of "year" in the video. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inbpn9XEhO8

Best...

Geoff

Posted on: 2018/2/19 21:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Interesting that the car still has the number from the Houston auction on the windshield!

Posted on: 2018/2/19 22:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Here is my "Gear Head Tuesday" post on the car. It includes many photos provided my Geoff:
https://56packardman.com/2018/02/20/gear-head-tuesday-packard-monte-carlo-convertible-about-to-be-reborn/

Posted on: 2018/2/20 4:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
I updated the post with a new thought on how the convertible may have come into being:

https://56packardman.com/2018/02/20/gear-head-tuesday-packard-monte-carlo-convertible-about-to-be-reborn/

Posted on: 2018/2/20 10:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Further update - Geoff has sent new photos - he installed a set of white walls he had on hand and re-installed the cloisonn? wheel covers. He discovered that the front wheel wells have been lowered by 4" as on the Monte Carlo hardtop. The workmanship on this is excellent which increases my belief that this Monte Carlo convertible may have been a "Skunk Works" project by someone in Henney if it wasn't an official Henney project (as opposed to a dealer conversion).

Updated blog post:

Further update:
Geoff discovered that the front bumpers on both Monte Carlos are different than those used on any of the production 22nd Series Packards - see the photos.

Where did this bumpers originate? That both Monte Carlos share a non-production bumper indicates to me that the convertible version was also produced at Henney.

Posted on: 2018/2/20 23:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The one piece solid front bumper was a running change during the 22nd Series for the Custom 8 and continued on into the 23rd Series, see page 67 of Bob Neal's book. I'll see if I can find a pix of one.

EDIT: Best pix I could find is my old 23rd Series Custom 8 with the solid one-piece front bumper.

Attach file:

jpg  (251.52 KB)
177_5a8d8df2a90fb.jpg 1920X1404 px

Posted on: 2018/2/21 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
<i>"that one piece solid front bumper was a running change during the 22nd Series for the Custom 8 and continued on into the 23rd Series."</i>

Ah ha!
Thank you!

Posted on: 2018/2/21 10:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... Best pix I could find ...

Dave (O_D), the pic is suitable.

Attach file:

jpg  (146.31 KB)
757_5a8dda61b8a50.jpg 1322X968 px

Posted on: 2018/2/21 15:38
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the rework, that was a scan from an old Ektachrome slide. I had a lot of happy miles in that Packard, bought it in 1959 from a S/P dealer in Carlisle, PA for $85.

Posted on: 2018/2/21 15:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Viewing the recent details discovered on the convertible indicate that it was professionally built. While Henney's stock and trade was professional car coach building, occasional individual customizing jobs were undertaken, such as the Formal Club Sedan for the Canadian Prime Minister on a '51 Business Coupe in 1953 (Neal, page188). Its a reasonable possibility that an individual or Packard dealer saw the Monte Carlo hardtop, contracted Henney to customize a used '48 Super Eight convertible with styling features for that car utilizing 23rd Series trim components. If in building the Monte Carlo hardtop more than one set of nameplates were cast, that would be good evidence of a direct link.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/2/23 13:07
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved