Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Maybe using the hanging pedal as is and finding a way to attach it to the manual pedal stem is a better solution. Wouldn't have to worry about stability. We'll have to figure it out once we have parts in hand so we can see what fits where and how things line up. Now to find the manual brake pedal parts.....

Posted on: 2009/12/20 12:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Instead of using the Packard setup, what about something like this. Might give more flexibility for the electroboost if the mechanic made your own mounting bracket to the frame and linkage. Anyway, $70 bucks & might be easier to find than a Packard if Mike doesn't have.

Was thinking if the underfloor pedal length was perhaps shortened a couple of inches to drop the suspended to a more normal height and then modified at the end as Eric suggests, the pedal could be attached more securely there where the BTV now attaches. Don't think any ratio change would be needed for shorter travel although a consideration. That end point would now accommodate a bit of rotation but the top end of the suspension where it now has a fixed pivot could have a slotted arrangement instead to allow for sliding to allow the different arcs yet still be secure.http://www.jegs.com/

Attach file:

jpg  (57.04 KB)
209_4b2e7a02107d2.jpg 795X503 px

Posted on: 2009/12/20 14:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
This is certainly a possibility, and not very expensive. I sent a note to Mike to ask if has the manual pedal assy. Of course, he's in Duluth, MN, it's winter, and they've already had snow. I'm thinking it could be May or June before Mike can get to his cars to see if has it.

Any idea what the Packard manual pedal assy attaches to under the car? The pictures in the parts book show a rod that the pedal fits on and pivots on but it doesn't show how the rod attaches to the car. Does it attach to brackets under the body or on the frame?

Posted on: 2009/12/20 14:42
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The rod goes through holes in the frame. Crawl under your car and you'll see where it goes.

Posted on: 2009/12/20 14:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
OK, I think I know where the holes are. My car's in the shop now so I can't go check. What holds the rod in the holes?

BTW, the electroboost MC is only 3.25" high and 8.75" long. Think it will fit?

Posted on: 2009/12/20 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Springs and a clip holds the rod in place. As for your length, you might be ok, but make sure the fittings on the master point towards the right direction before you buy the master. You don't want to get it all figured out and it not work because the lines will be hitting the frame somewhere.

Posted on: 2009/12/20 15:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
That's a really good point. The MC has the fittings on the passenger side when placed to the rear of the brake pedal. We'll have to see if there's room for the lines in that position.

Just springs and a clip hold the brake pedal rod in place? There's no brackets or bushings?

Posted on: 2009/12/20 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
None on the '51-'54 cars that I remember, and definitely no bushings, as the shaft is stationary. It has a "D" shaped end on it IIRC that holds it stationary, and a "C" clip that holds it into the frame. The other end, towards the trans, just holds it in place and keeps it from moving, so there's your "bracket".

Posted on: 2009/12/20 16:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
I found the attached photo and I think it shows what your referring to. The shaft is stationary and the clutch and brake pedals rotate on the shaft. Got it.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.75 KB)
1986_4b2e95684d0a6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/20 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's the one.

Posted on: 2009/12/20 16:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved