Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

jgrohn, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Anonymous
Re: Dedicated Grievance/Complaint Thread
BH,

I don't entirely agree with you. As an example check out the AACA thread on Egge:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/422424/Are_Egge_pistons_any_good#Post422424

We didn't delete the thread. We simply tried to keep the thrashing to a minimum. Ironically the thread died as soon as the owner of Egge posted.

Have we done a perfect job on the AACA forums? Far from it, but we have 26,000 active users and 650,000 posts... so we're doing something right.

I get my fair share of thrashing here on Packardinfo - I've been vilified, compared to Hitler and Stalin, accused of conspiring with the Packard clubs, even received some nasty private messages. I guess it comes with the territory.

All along I've supported this forum by providing links from AACA. I could be wrong, but I'll bet other than search engines the AACA site sends more traffic here than any other site. (BigKev, am i right?)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Peter

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Peter you are correct in the fact that AACA Packard forum accounts for the most direct links to content here on the website behind of all of the major search engines and various combined PI chapters website.

I never disputed that at all and I do appreciate the mutal linkage back and forth.

Just for everyones information Google/Yahoo/MSN represent about 75% of the referring hosts. That means someone clicked on a link on another site that brought them here. The combined PI chapter sites about 8%, links from the AACA domain 7%, and the remainder are scattered amongst other site likes ClassicCar.com, GarageJorunal, and various home pages.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
Didn't mean to imply you disputed it at all Kevin. I was just showing that I support this forum in a very tangible way... regardless of the mud-slinging my way.

Thanks,

Peter

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I get my fair share of thrashing here on Packardinfo - I've been vilified, compared to Hitler and Stalin, accused of conspiring with the Packard clubs, even received some nasty private messages. I guess it comes with the territory.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:12
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
... speaking of mud slinging...

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
PeterG: The truth of matter is that compared to a couple of years ago the AACA Packard forum has been on a steep steady decline in use.

That decline started when a couple of us got banned from the AACA Packard forum. People like Eric, BH, myself and others came here and helped Big Kev lay the foundation for which is now the best Packard web site going.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:25
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PeterG -

I didn't specifically cite the AACA by name WRT to vendors, but - even as a mere spectator - I got the feeling that the Egge thread was teetering on the brink of deletion, but - yes - I'm glad a vendor took time to respond in public, rather than having the matter swept under the rug. Still, when other threads have been deleted there (and not just in the Packard DF or the former Misc. Chat), it only seemed to stoke the fire.

As best I can tell (and keep in mind that I don't use the AACA site much anymore), you've given PackardInfo one link in the Packard DF under the pinned "Packard Clubs and Organizations", which we asked for IIRC, and I'll thank you for that.

Still, I bet a lot of the links from the AACA site have as much or more to to do with BigKev's periodic updates and posts by others, including some AACA members as well as myself, pointing people to this non-commercial site for the specific answer they were looking for - resource that aren't available online form the AACA. Yet, those aren't the only arrows pointing people this way.

As you may recall, this site got some nice exposure in a newspaper article on Packards last year, but that's only the first in what I believe will be many such referrals in the future. Then, someone apparently thought enough of the site to place an ad in a recent issue of Cars & Parts directing Packard folk here (and - no - it wasn't BigKev).

Still, when a site admin tells a user, even privately, that if they don't agree with the rules, they can go somewhere else, don't be surprised if they take their leave and others follow.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:33
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
JS

I agree - Packardinfo.com has most definitely evolved into the Internets best destination for Packard users. The credit goes to Kevin and the entire community of Packard fans who support it.

I contribute to the Packardinfo.com in a measurable tangle way by sending it traffic. I do it in spite of the fact some dirty the very forum they profess to support by littering it with name calling and mud slinging.

Peter

(As to the AACA Packard forums decline... the number of posts and users disputes that. On the contrary the exit of a few has brought some civility back to the forums which many applauded.)

Top  Print   

Anonymous
Brian,

Thank you for your civil response.

I am in agreement with most everything you said. Here are my comments:

Moderating - unfortunately it's a necessary evil. (Just ask Kevin - I'm sure he's eying this thread like a hawk) :) As to asking people to leave a forum - I'm not surprised they leave, I'm relieved: Ironically when a moderator does it to guys like PH they are applauded, but when others have the same negative impact on the community and are banned the Moderator is vilified. Why is that?

As to the old Misc Chat - deleting it was the best thing I ever did.

Yup... Kevin's misc posts (150+) provide links back to Packardinfo.com. Ironically I'll bet there a few here that are offended that I even post, let alone link back to AACA.

The AACA forums gets its fair share of good PR also. Rightly so IMHO, but I'm bias. :)

Thanks,

Peter

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Yes PeterG I made that statement and stand by it. I believe I called you alot worse, when you revealed the contents of a private phone conversation we had a few years ago.

The bottom line is that I like the freedom of this venue. What realy is nice is seeing how freely people come forward to contribute information about Packards.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/7 19:26
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved