Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 242

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard model 2365, 288 cubic inch engine running hot
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oxalic, not oxylic. Many paint stores carry it. Try about a heaping cup predissolved in warm water, top off the system and go for a 25 or more mile drive, and drain, Repeat until it comes out clear and then give it a rinse with water and some bicarbonate of soda to neutralize any traces of oxalic acid which might remain. This process essentially duplicates the old duPont Heavy Duty cooling system cleaner.

Posted on: 2015/6/13 17:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
You are right. Oxalic acid.

Posted on: 2015/6/13 21:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
If I do the Oxalic acid flush and then rinse and add straight water to the system but don't have time to do the 2nd Oxalic acid flush for a few days, do I still need to do the baking soda neutralizer addition? Or can I wait to do the neutralizer until I am finished all of the oxalic acid flushes?
(Assuming that I rinse each time after oxalic acid flush with water and fill the system with water).

This means that there might be some small residual Oxalic acid in the system for a few days. Is this ok? Or can it start to eat away at something

Posted on: 2015/6/13 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I saw an interesting demonstration on a recent show. The makers of "Evapo Rust", the makers of a product to safely remove rust from metal parts. They demonstrated their new product to clean cooling systems. It seemed to flush out a lot of rust and is claimed to be non-toxic. No experience with this stuff, but might be worth investigating as something to flush your cooling system.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/14 9:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Evapo Rust is the bomb. It is actually called out by Ford and GM for us to use processing their parts. I use it on everything. Beats the H*** out of sandblasting and wire wheels and the parts come out like new.

Posted on: 2015/6/14 10:06
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved