Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Metering rod for Carter WDO 531 S
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Doc

On page 26 of the carburetor training book (available on this site) is a photograph of some of the details in that area of the WDO. The graphic is actually depicting the adjustment of the anti-percolator valves, but if you enlarge sufficiently the spring (61-120) can be seen mounted on the metering rod pin (150-81). What is not shown are the free ends of the spring, which simply loop around the metering rods. IIRC I build the entire rod/spring/pin/piston sub-assembly and install in the body. With the spring in-place in takes a bit of fiddling to align the metering rods, but once the air horn is in place the rods cannot dis-engage. If you want the spring free ends can be looped around the metering rods once you’re confident the rods are centered in the jet. Keep those small brass washers in-place . . . I think the design intent is that the washers will keep stones from falling into the jets which is possible (ask the man) with carburetors that use un-filtered air for air bleeds and float bowl venting.

dp

Posted on: 12/29 19:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Thanks Dave! I reached out to Mikes Carburetor (where I got my kit) to get help also. You guys have never let me down!
But I do think that my wdo has been violated by someone in the past who lacked experience in carbs and mangled the metering rod spring. Sure wish I had modern pics or a video that would take you through the process for us greenhorns. Think my wdo might be a Frankencarb of miscellaneous parts.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_6038.jpeg (2,537.10 KB)
226376_658f93ca9978c.jpeg 3023X4031 px

Posted on: 12/29 22:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I might need some parts too, I think I might have a Carter wdo “ Frankencarb” because some things just don’t look right.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_6184.jpeg (2,336.32 KB)
226376_658f9ce128e2e.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 12/29 23:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Yeah i noticed the washers on the rods, primitive true, but effective. The part with the spring on it has me baffled, I’m not sure it’s the right part-or either its been modified, doesn’t look like what I can see in the 1940’s WDO service pics. Well, it ran before I took it off guess my goal is to make it run (better) after I put it back on 😅.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/30 9:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved