Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: No more speedo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Looking at a photo of the replacement speedo, I see the box like you described however I cannot remember taking it off (me upside down holding a mirror & flashlight just lucky to get my arm out) but will look to see if the box is still wired and under the dash. Thanks for setting the wiring straight.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Thought that you would like to know the speedo went in just fine and works great. Mounting the face was much easier after I found a little spring loaded screw holder, everything is magnetic nowadays designed for these new plastic cars and they can't hold the part steady, too much metal to stick to on the old ones. I guess that this topic can be archived. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad to hear that issue resolved. Now if someone will just come thru with a pointer and clamp, one more can bite the dust.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Don't know the protocall for going off topic (webmaster let me know) It looks like I may have to make my own pointer and have tried a number of materials, so far unsuccessful. The pointer could be broken off inside the shaft and is blocking it somehow. Thought that I would pull the heater control assembly off the dash as it flanks the indicator window. The drawings show two rather accessible bolts at the bottom, however with both removed I cannot make it budge and cannot seem to find any other attachments.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 16:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Staying on a topic in this forum doesn't seem to be anyone's strong suit so no worries & just shows you're a full member of the club.

Saw in your other thread that greendragon may have located your pointer so maybe that will be resolved soon.

As to removing the chrome surround, think the bolts you refer to are the steering column support which won't do much for removing surround but will need to loosen.

As I recall & it's been awhile, the chrome is held on from both sides with the dash sandwiched in between. Someone who's done it recently or has a parts dash to reference could sure refresh my memory if one is available.

Start by disconnecting battery then removing bottom thin cover plate under column and sliding the rubber piece out of way. Don't remember any but check for screws to dash in that area. Both heater motor switches will have to remove so those are the front chrome nuts with slots you see after knobs removed. Believe the heater cable lever knobs will just pull off. From the back, cable lever assys each have a screw or stud centered top & bottom between the levers. Don't think of anything else but there may be a screw or 2 on the outer edges of surround. If not, once the rest loose, the plate should be able to tilt and slide up. Be careful to protect the steering column & dash from scratches.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Looks like GreenDragon has found the part, we shall see. Thanks for the removal description may try the correct part first

Posted on: 2009/7/12 7:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Follow up on the speedo. I believe I figured out the cause of the first speedo destruction. Remember the dial started shaking was so bad that that the needle fell off and spring disintegrated. The same thing started up with the new unit, curiously after behaving for several weeks. Pulled the cable and checked for damage, lubed it again, check the gears from the transmission but the dial shaking was getting worse the more I fiddled. Something made me just to start the threads on the retaining nut on the back of the speedo and not tightened it down all the way. I had to move the car and when I pulled into my spot again the gauge did not shake. Maybe the cable was too long and needed some slop to work property. Thought I would pass it on...Dumb stupid luck

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Possible, I suppose. Too long a cable would put bind on things. Don't remember if the 55-6 has the oil hole like the earlier ones. If so, did you put a drop or 2 of oil in it to moisten the felt. If it does have one, might be something to do next time you feel up to diving under the dash. The speedo in the picture has an almost frozen drive because it has never been lubed and whatever is there has hardened.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.91 KB)
209_4a77871f0e1ba.jpg 640X306 px

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH I did a drop of 3in1 before I installed it. The unit turned very smoothly before but I was not taking any chances. i suppose that a quarter inch could be cut off the end, lets see what happens on the highway.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH As a futher bit of insurance I found someone to rebuild by old speedo. figure that if I spend the money I will never have to use it, right?

Posted on: 2009/8/3 20:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved