Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

RCJ56, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Exhaust System Roundup
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
On your off topic: If they were trying to achieve that balance, then they sure did come close! People at car shows have remarked about what a smooth running engine it is, and it really is.

Ok now, back on to exhausts!

Posted on: 2009/11/14 18:57
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On various STOCK and COMPLETE exhaust sytems i have replaced the muffler with a pipe.

The exhaust note is acceptable during steady throttle poistions at all speeds. HOWEVER, under heavy load or acceleration or when clinbing a long hill the noise becomes UNacceptable.

I've also eleminated mufflers using JUST the catalytic converter. In these cases the muffler is an extraneous piece of exhaust component. NOTE that in some cases catalytic converter may have been purged of internals thus making it simply just a streight pipe.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 22:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
when did a catalytic come into play? did i miss something?

Posted on: 2009/11/14 22:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It was an option on California Packards back in the '50s.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I brought up the Cat a few posts ago, to seriously inquire about how a converter would perform in a vintage exhaust system, and whether some of the aftermarket converters would make sense to replace either mufflers or resonators.

Quote:
using JUST the catalytic converter. In these cases the muffler is an extraneous piece of exhaust component.

This comment from Packard V8 speaks to a question I've had about catalyst systems... wouldn't the converter be enough "muffler" in itself?

The catalysts do present heat problems, of course, and need for shields, etc. But they are also very rugged units.

I'm leaning toward the simplest, lightest system possible that still delivers good performance. I think given the number of miles a vehicle such as this sees in a year, a decent, relatively inexpensive exhaust setup would be more than adequate.

Good mild steel pipes and one silencer per side--be it a converter, flowmaster, thrushmusher or whatever. Just so it would give reasonably quiet performance at idle, accelerating under load, cruising at speed, and decelerating (important-no pops and bangs).

Then wire just one hydrocarbon sensor (aka sparkplug) near the exhaust outlet(s), and see all the heads turn to watch your "hell-car" burn down the road.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 19:47
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
cli55er
Is that muffler shop located in Bedford, TX?

Posted on: 2009/11/15 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
somehow i think a cat system would be a bit restrictive. i cant speak from experience on putting them on Packards, but they seem to be an excsessively restrictive on cars that were deigned for them.

if time ever permits me to get my flowmasters on, ill voice my opinions.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 21:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
There are about a thousand ways to put together an exhaust system. That's why I thought some comparing notes would be helpful. I haven't priced catalytic converters... or looked at their back-pressure numbers, so I could take a look around about that and report back.

But nothing speaks like experience, so all types of combinations that have been tried in the real world are more than welcome.

Speaking of the real world, maybe someone who has put together a few Packard V8 exhaust systems over the years has some idea what ballpark cost on a complete bent-to-fit carbon steel system night run-- single and dual--with reasonable off-the-shelf mufflers and resonators, or resonator-type devices.

Exhaust work seems to be such a basic consideration for resurrecting one of these cars to decent driveability. It's also a safety issue, unless you drive with the windows open all the time. After brakes, steering and tires, the next order of business for my kind of back-to-basics, low-buck, get-it-on-the-road resto is exhaust. (That is, if the car has a floor in it, of course.)

Posted on: 2009/11/15 22:26
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes the muffler shop is off Pipeline road in Bedford.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 23:21
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Stinkin' Exhaust?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I have experienced riding in the back seat of a '55 400 with the exhaust tips in the bumper. It always had a slight exhaust odor. Later I heard, just anecdotally, that these in-bumper exhaust outlets had a tendency to trap fumes in the trunk which could leak through and cause exhaust odor inside the car.

I have only the experience of one Senior V8 of '55, but has this ever been an "official" problem, or has anyone experienced it?

Posted on: 2009/11/25 9:31
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved