Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Timing chain and gear set
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What kind of markings, numbers, logos or symbols of any type are on the parts??? This is important for future reference in terms of determining the mileage longevity of any such parts.

Or to look it another way, the parts may or may not look like shit, but that doesn't mean they will or won't run at least 50K miles. We just don;t know at this time. ONLY the FUTURE will tell.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 23:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
What kind of markings, numbers, logos or symbols of any type are on the parts??? This is important for future reference in terms of determining the mileage longevity of any such parts.

The chain isn't marked at all. The wrapping was marked China. The cam gear is marked PAC ??9?93 ( Number cast into the gear but because of the crude casting it's unreadable). Cam gear packaging was marked China also. Like I said the crank gear may be NOS. The quality looks too good compared to the other two parts.

One main problem with this so called set is the fact that the chain is designed wrong. The chain does not fit the crank gear at all. When the chain is wrapped around the crank gear the effective shape of the teeth formed by the chain changes so much they are almost square and will not properly fit down around the gear. The chain rides too high on the gear.

Bottom line is how do you determine how long something will last if you can't use it in the first place?

Posted on: 2011/10/11 2:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thank you for the Bottom Line explanation and important details.

Quote:
"... cam gear is marked PAC ??9?93... ".

IIRC "PAC" is the commonly used initials for a known Packard club. I believe it stands for Packard American Classics and/or sometimes refered to as "The Club". Since their intials are cast onto the gear then perhaps PAC (THe Club) can offer some details or insight into this problem.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 9:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
"The chain rides too high on the gear. "

We talked about this when i put my kanter made in china set on my 327. It appeared to ride too high, based on my experience with modern V8 timing chains. While i had other issues later with that motor, the timing chain and set has been fine, even though it appears to ride too high. You can compare how high your chain rides with my new one that worked ok here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=64041#forumpost64041

Posted on: 2011/10/11 9:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
IIRC "PAC" is the commonly used initials for a known Packard club.

In this case I think it stands for Packard. Looked up the Packard part number and was able to fill in the blanks. What is cast into the Chinese cam gear is the Packard part number.

As for fit I realize the chain isn't supposed to fit all the way to the bottom on either gear. It does fit the cam gear ok but not the crank gear due to the difference in the diameter of the two gears. A correct NOS chain doesn't have that problem.

Timing set is still for sale. I'm down to $50.00 now. You pay the shipping. Thanks

Forgot about this past discussion. Interesting reading.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... t_id=64041#forumpost64041

Sorry the link would not insert completely.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 13:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved