Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

Alvin14, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
fatmike wrote Quote:
So Craig, did you hear the one about the killer whale...

You mean about the supposedly experienced woman "trainer" who dangled her waist-length pony tail into the water in front a hungry Orca known to have been involved with killing two other humans? Yeah, that's smart.

Same experienced people as the guy who hung out with wild Grizzlies in the Yukon and the guy who hung with wild Lions in Africa. Play with fire...get burnt...or in their case EATEN.

Drive by the BTV, die by the BTV. Those animals are "friendly" until they kill you.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/3/5 22:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I bet a lot of guys would like to celebrate life with Miriam!!!

Seriously, Gerd, thanks for a thoughtful post.

Those who hate the BTV can do as they please with their own cars, but they shouldn't expect those of us who have worked on the system with our own two hands and understand it inside and out to jump on their bandwagon.

Born in 1959, it's no miracle that I lived past the age of 4 with no other car in our family but a '56 Executive with BTV (and NO seat belts, NO air bags, NO traction control, NO backup monitor, NO tire pressure monitors, NO throttle-by-wire). My dad simply knew how to properly service the entire brake system, but never had a problem with the BTV in the seven years that he owned and the nearly 75,000 miles that he put on that car. Though he parked that car in a field, in 1963, it wasn't brakes, but the lack of parts, in general, and competent rebuilders for the Twin Ultramatic that killed the beast!

Meanwhile PackardInfo is a great place that brings people and knowledge together from not only across the USA, but around the world - people who have might not have ever met otherwise. I wish more people appreciated that as much as you do.

In spite of the danger of reading too much into the written word, I can tell you meeting like-minded people online makes getting together in person all the better. I only wish there was more time and fewer miles between us all for that.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 14:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
AAA- men Brian. And Gerd.

...but that whale could so take that lion...

Posted on: 2010/3/6 19:45
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Very thoughtful post Gerd. Anytime you want me to take you fishing let me know.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
fatmike wrote: Quote:
...but that whale could so take that lion...

Oh yeah, I forgot to cite the Siberian Tiger at the San Fran Zoo that jumped a "tiger proof" wall and terminated one "fan" and injured another in 2006. That was a "time proven" setup, wasn't it?

And speaking of tigers, how about Roy of "Sigfried and Roy" fame who was mauled by one of his hand raised albino tigers on stage in front of hundreds of paying fans. Roy survived, but barely. I understand he can speak...a little.

But, I do agree with Gerd and others. It's your car, so do what you will. Just don't come complaining to me or anyone else when you get bitten --- if you can still talk that is.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/3/6 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH wrote: Quote:
Those who hate the BTV can do as they please with their own cars, but they shouldn't expect those of us who have worked on the system with our own two hands and understand it inside and out to jump on their bandwagon.

Brian,

I don't hate the BTV. I just think that it is a fatal accident waiting to happen, as I have stated many times in the past.

If you think that you "understand it inside and out" better than four different professional restorers across the USA (i.e., those in my experience), then, IMO, you are whistling past that particular graveyard.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/3/6 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
AGREED Brian! the closest Packard people there are for me to interact with is my club in k.c 2-3 hours away. i wish ALL of us were closer to each other!

Posted on: 2010/3/10 22:36
 Top  Print   

Going to Trust BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
As the 400 nears completion, I'm staying with the BTV for my braking needs. I'm convinced that the BTV worked once and that it will sufficently work again. I know there are many on both sides of this issue, and my best Packard-pal also disagrees with me.

I just had mine rebuilt by Midwest Powder Products of Leah, IL and they come highly recommended by other Packard guys. My unit had a broken spring and much associated pitting inside the cylinder, which was re-sleeved with stainless steel.

Attach file:

jpg  (128.86 KB)
20_4bb22c3b3d093.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (132.12 KB)
20_4bb22c487941d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (126.88 KB)
20_4bb22c54df4ea.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (107.01 KB)
20_4bb22c630f3a2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/30 11:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Going to Trust BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Someone else verify that the master cylinder lid is installed correctly. Can't find mine rite now to check. I thot the filler plug was supposed to be closest to the engine.

EDIT: Service manual shows it to be correct.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 14:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Going to Trust BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also, the lid in the 'before' pic looks different from the lid on the 'after' pic.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 14:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved