Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 167

Marvin, 39Rollson, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: position of R9 Lockout Control Lever on OD case ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I have already looked at the inside -I will look again and post the position of the contacts ( open or closed ) What is a good way to clean them ?

Posted on: 2012/10/23 19:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A point file on the pull in contact if really pitted. Just don't remove more than absolutely necessary to smooth.

To just clean the oxidation and polish the others, either some contact cleaner or just fold a narrow strip of ordinary rough finished paper. The clean edge of newsprint where no printing has occurred or thin cardboard works well. We used to use a narrow strip cut off a business card that had a little texture to clean relay contacts.

Place the paper between the contacts and pull a few inches thru while holding light pressure on the contacts. If pitting has occurred, the paper will catch and you can dress with the point file.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 19:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I discovered that I may have another problem with the solenoid. Even though the # 4 and # 3 ( pull in and hold in contacts seem to work fine, the other two ( #6 contact and # 7 contact look like they are in the wrong position. I mean # 7 is on top of # 6 -It should be the other way around , right ? Therefore the ground out contact will not disengage Am I right and if so, how do I correct this ? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/10/24 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not understanding how they could have been reversed since the contacts are riveted to the plate. The contact sets are insulated from one another via a phenolic button on one of the leafs. One gets ground thru the plunger and the other thru the plate.

How do things check out electrically? With the solenoid relaxed, 7 should be closed to ground and will open when the plunger is around half way extended. 6 will be open when solenoid relaxed but will close about the same time 7 opens.

Posted on: 2012/10/24 17:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
What Ive got in the relaxed position : # 7 contact is first ( next to the cap end ) not contacting anything. Directly under it is contact # 6 touching the center shaft with the ground out contact closed. Both are still attached with rivets to the top plate. Could it be someone bent both outwards and ended up with # 7 on top of # 6 . Just looking at the Econo Drive diagram - thats how it looks to me. Your comments

Posted on: 2012/10/24 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see what you are saying. Yes, someone could have messed things up. Hopefully the contacts are not sprung so they no longer make good contact. Here is the correct orientation. Black leaf is 6 and bronze leaf is 7.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.06 KB)
209_50887d0c04fbf.jpg 640X439 px

Posted on: 2012/10/24 18:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Yep - Someone must have messed it up. My bronze # 7 is on top , bent upwards and black # 6 is under it. i too am afraid even if I could get them back in the right position, they may not make contact. Dont know how I would do it unless I bent them both outwards again. Its a shame, since the pull in - hold in seems to be ok Does the entire top plate come off for replacement ?

Posted on: 2012/10/24 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Hello Howard - I was able to get the contacts back as they should be. They were sprung a little but everything seems to work now. The reason they ended up like that - someone had pushed the shaft backwards I guess. So, one step forward. I will need to find a relay and start sorting out the wires and kickdown switch, etc. Anyways, thanks for your guidance

Posted on: 2012/10/26 12:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear the solenoid wasn't damaged. The R9 solenoids are also getting to be like an endangered species and priced accordingly.

Not sure how much of your system is intact. Flackmaster has the relay and maybe the kickdown switch. Original kickdown switches were 2 terminal on R9s but if they are more plentiful or less expensive, the later R11 4 terminal will work using the appropriate two terminals.

Your car may have the reverse safety switch. If so, details of the reason it was added are in 1947 Service Counselor Vol21 #15 available in the literature section.

There were two versions of wiring harness. Early was in two sections with a shorter section connecting into the main harness with 6 black inline connectors. Later harness was all one piece. If you have the connectors, check their condition. Even then there were issues & were eliminated.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks - I will need a relay I know - The accelerator switch is there- guess the governor is too, havent looked. wires need service, it has a switch on the lower steering column - guess its the reverse safety switch huh?

Posted on: 2012/10/26 17:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved