Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: BTV Replacement that should work for everyone
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As long as the bore of the MPB IS THE same as the chevy mc bore +/- 1/16" then the chevy pedal arrangement/ lever ratio should be just fine.

Of course that assumes the bolt pattern of the mpb matches the bolt pattern on the chev.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 21:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Pictured are 3 views of the more-or-less final install looking from the inside. This shows the pedal position very clearly.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/19 16:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Sorry, but your pictures don't support the statement in the opening post of this thread that this replacement has:

Quote:
Exactly the same brake pedal placement as the original.

Your pedal is lower than original. While the top of the OE brake pedal pad is actually slightly below the line of the top of the accelerator pedal, that pad is centered (at least vertically) over the BTV pushrod and opening in the toeboard.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH Quote:
Your pedal is lower than original.

Brian, I guess you don't know much about geometry. When the pedal actually goes to the floor following the arc of the pivot point, it does end up at the same place as the Easamatic pedal. Because the Chevy pedal is higher than the original pedal and it has a longer fulcrum it "looks like" it is not the same when in the original position.

Geez.

Brian, go ahead and keep your BTV and the original pedal. Then when the BTV fails and you crash one of your Packards into something, don't come crying to us on this message board about your failure.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/19 20:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Craig wrote:

Quote:
Brian, I guess you don't know much about geometry.

My HS geometry teacher would laugh at that statement. Not only did I ace a full year of geometry, I was a freshman in a class full of sophomores.

I'm not talking about where the pedal ends up, relative to the toe board, when depressed, but the suspendend, released height from the bottom of the floor - that is, the plane in which your heel would rest.

Packard's arrangment allowed the driver to shift their toe from one pedal to the other without lifting their heel from the floor.

Maybe your feet are shorter than mine, but it looks like I'd be pressing your Caprice pedal with the arch of my foot.

Admittedly, this implementation with the Caprice pedal/arm is an improvement over the brake pedal placement on your 55 Pat (as seen at the end of your Easamatic Power Brake Conversion page at your website). However, your friend Paul did a better job with pedal placement for his 56 Exec (as shown at the end of Paul's Power Brake Conversion) page at your website). You could learn a thing or two from him.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.75 KB)
103_530579366c3c0.jpg 400X467 px

Posted on: 2014/2/19 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Few could duplicate what my friend Paul did on his outstanding Exec. I'm proud to call him my friend and compatriot. I don't see anything approaching his work on any of your cars. Not trying to be critical or offensive, but I just don't see it.

There are obviously multiple ways to install a replacement for the BTV, most posted on PackardInfo over these many years (Me, Lance, Eric, Keith, Paul, Howard, etc.). WHY WOULD SO MANY GO TO SO MUCH TROUBLE? The simple and obvious answer is that the BTV is a fatal accident waiting to happen...and they didn't want to wait to have that unexpectedly happen.

I don't get you guys who have BTVs defending them with some kind of zealous religiousocity. It's like defending the Ford Pinto gas tank location and design that would explode in a rear end accident and immolate everyone in the car. The argument that the Pinto gas tank explosion/immolation only happened a few times is specious at best and ludicrous in the extreme.

Same with the BTV. If you want to argue about nuances then you replace it with something else and then present it for critical comment.

Meanwhile, I, the others mentioned above and probably many others who have followed our lead are going to be driving our Packards anywhere, anytime, safely, knowing we can stop everytime.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/20 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I appreciate all the effort of those who are working on and finding alternatives to factory original mechanisms on these Packards. If Packard had survived, they probably would have worked out a lot of the problems that only time would have revealed. Examples: Oil pump/BTV/Tranny problems.

Expecting a supplier to make an alternative booster/master to fit the '55-'56 Packard is probably not feasible. There just aren't enough out there to justify the tooling costs and expect to be able to sell one at a reasonable price afterward.

I think the '79 Chevy Pedal & Booster set up looks good. A little mod of the pedal arm might be in order but still looks to be a great alternative for someone who doesn't think non original parts are blasphemy.

Finding alternative parts for Packards is not a knock on Packard engineering or their ability to work well. In my case it is more economically feasible to use this set up, then to rebuild a BTV every couple of years.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
The rebuilding of the BTVs and reliability is why I changed over to standard brakes. Changing cost less than a rebuilt BTV, including new wheel cylinders, master cylinder, brake lines, and the mechanical mechanisms to go to standard.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Me too!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/20 19:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I was looking at the NAPA website for a part for my truck.
When complete I decided to look up the booster and master cylinder for a 79 Caprice. They are showing the parts new for $125.10.
But I found a buyers guide at the bottom of the page that showed me every car that was capitable with that particuler booster and master cylinder.

If its correct it would make it easier for some of you to possible find the parts in salvage yards.

Of course I have no idea if the brake pedals in these cars below match the Caprice.

Buick Electra 1979 - 1980
Buick Electra Estate Wagon 1980 - 1980
Buick Estate Wagon 1979 - 1979
Buick Lesabre 1979 - 1980
Cadillac Commercial Chassis 1979 - 1980
Cadillac Coupe DeVille 1979 - 1979
Cadillac Deville 1980 - 1980
Cadillac Fleetwood 1979 - 1980
Cadillac Fleetwood 75 1979 - 1980
Cadillac Sedan DeVille 1979 - 1979
Chevrolet Bel Air 1979 - 1980
Chevrolet Caprice 1979 - 1980
Chevrolet Impala 1979 - 1980
Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser 1978 - 1980
Oldsmobile Delta 88 1978 - 1980
Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 1978 - 1980
Pontiac Bonneville 1979 - 1980
Pontiac Catalina 1979 - 1980
Pontiac Laurentian 1979 - 1980
Pontiac Parisienne 1979 - 1980

Posted on: 2014/2/21 12:59
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved