Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: First they came for the clunkers......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I just had a conversation with a guy "back east" (Indiana) who was enthralled that he might be able to get some "rust free" South West USA cars from me. Oh, this is a Firebird, not a Packard, but the argument is the same.

We did a deal on a couple of parts that he had that I needed and I traded him a 1973 Firebird stripped chassis for it. He was happy as a clam, so to speak. So was I to get these otherwise rare parts.

For you East Coast guys, are these "rust free" cars so desirable that you will go to extreme lengths to get one?

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/12 19:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
NO! is the answer to your question.

I would like to point out that Indiana isn't what I would call an east coast state.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/12 20:08
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
actualy craig didn't say east coast, i did. he said back east. which would be anything east of his state! lol

Posted on: 2009/5/12 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

For you East Coast guys, are these "rust free" cars so desirable that you will go to extreme lengths to get one?

Craig

Quite a few people out here would. 57-74 Chrysler products, mid 60's to mid 70's GM and late 50's to 60's Fords. Even the most basic, common models out where you are have been a rarity here for decades. I bought a 59 Edsel from Indiana that was cheaper than a rust box out here. Even with the shipping, I was still ahead of the game. I had a rusty old 73 Buick listed on ebay once that some guy bid $1800 for the car just so he could use the fenders on his car. Most Fords older than 74 usually look good but have major frame damage, the Chryslers just fell apart, and the GM's depend on the year as to what rots and when.
I have limits though. If it's cheaper to buy from afar than fix up a local bucket, if available, then I go for it.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Did somebody say Cosworth Vega?

I just happen to have one of those, too. Only 13K on the clock now, it was originally puchased, new, by a little old lady from my hometown - honest! Yet, I've been so busy that I haven't had that car on the road in nearly three years. (No, it is not for sale.)

The Cosworth Vegas were a little overpriced and underpowered when they fianlly debuted in 1975, but still fun on the open road. In more recent years some people in a fine example of a club put their heads together and found way to reindex the cams to put more power at the low end of the curve for greatly improved seat-of-the-pants feel, while still meeting emissions standards.

As much as I love my V8 Packard, I also highly recommend the Cosworth Vega as an affordable hobby car, but avoid the rusty ones.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
did some one say you SUCK!!!!? Just kidding! Seriously Brian Eric thinks very highly of you and thats good enough for me! got any pics of the 'cos?

Posted on: 2009/5/17 2:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved