Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Time for AirCon
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Bill,

Here are some photos that may help.
Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (37.77 KB)
1278_49fafbcc83b32.jpg 750X538 px

jpg  (43.01 KB)
1278_49fafbe7346e4.jpg 750X563 px

jpg  (48.45 KB)
1278_49fafc0f31fc4.jpg 750X563 px

Posted on: 2009/5/1 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
this is the best i could do to copy Original Packard design.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.32 KB)
35_49fb061f05b57.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.36 KB)
35_49fb065e7af57.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
With my set up or the original packard bracket then one can adapt nearly ANY pump to it rather easily. It is all flat steel and STREIGHT cuts. So a standard hacksaw is about the only special tool needed.

There is 2wo minor problems with my set up. The belt ever SO SLIGHTLY tends to rub the fan pulley. Barely rubbed the paint off (not the primer yet ( i primed the pulley beforepainting)) in more than 20K miles.

Also, the oil filler cap is a bit difficult to remove due to the tOYATA hose position. BUT these are minor problems that can be worked out with better forethot and planning in the future.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
PV8 Do you remember which vehicle your compressor is for--or is it several years old? Seems the aftermarket guys have stopped selling single groove. The usual generic aftermarkets available now are either 2 groove, wide groove or serpentine. The only A4 size belt groove I can find is on the new Sanden modular series which are pricy and special order.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
LLoyd wrote: "The heat exchange unit is under the dash mounted in approximately the same position as the stock box was. It is a little longer but not quite as wide. "

Probably not ez to get pics of the heat exchange unit up under the dash but i'd like to see some if possible.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Either 84 or 86 Toyota passenger car with Xverse engine. I think it was Corolla. I had to replace the pump about 5 years ago and bought one at either AZO or AAP. I think it was AZO.

EDIT: If i remeber rite, the replacement pump i bought at AAP already had the groove pulley on it so i didn't have to change that.

HOWEVER, my recommendation is to use the 73'ish Chevrolet pump because they are rather cheap and plentiful who can argue with The success of that pump. ONLY problem is possible air cleaner interference because the chev pump is SO long. I'm curently working on a chev pump mock up but it's going rather slow due to other priorities.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. I'll try to look up the toyota pump info and part number in my notes. But it'll probably be several hours or a day until i can find it.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56 u got a pm/.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, responded.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
HH56,

When I got my car the compressor was in the trunk, frozen, and someone had used a hacksaw to cut the refrigerant lines. The original condensing unit and dryer were still mounted in front of the radiator. Additionally my heat/air distribution (evaporator) box under the dash had, sometime in the distant past, turned into a lump of fuzed cardboard and corroded metal.

I ordered, from Classic Auto Air Manufacturing Company's (Tampa, FL) catalogue, the following items:

Item #1-1014, Classic Cooler H-C w/def
Item #12-1001, Filter-Drier Male "O" Ring
Item #5-128, Sanden V 2Gr 134a Compressor
Item #7-101, Sanden Swing Plate
Item #7-182 Sanden Adaptor Kit
Item # 11-1027, Power Condenser 21K BTU

As it turned out, we did not use the swing plate nor the adaptor kit. It was imminently simpler to carefully measure dimensions of the Sanden compressor, drill extra holes in the factory compressor mounting and line up the compressor pulley with the original A/C pulley (the car came with factory air).

The drier was mounted in much the same position as the original without need to alter anything in the horse collar. The double micro coil condensing unit, with its own electric fan, was mounted in the bottom of the space between the grille by bending the mounting brackets that came with it so that they'd fit snugly around the two support rods and bolt tight, again not requiring any permanent alterations in the horsecollar area. The evaporator box mounts under the dash in the approximate same position as the original.

Control for heater/defroster is a cable which can easily be routed to operate from the original ventilation, heat and A/C control panel. The fan speed switch and the temperature control switch are however electrical and are mounted in the evaporator box itself. Venting can easily be run to original A/C outlets on top of dash and defroster vents and, as I said in my earlier post, there is one vent in the front of the evaporator box and the ability to run another air outlet wherever is desirable. I have another vent mounted to the bottom of the dash on the far passenger side of the car. Hoses for heater can be routed through the cowl easily and heater control valve can be mounted anywhere that you can get a cable to it.

The whole system is the most unobtrusive configuration that I could locate and is pretty much unnoticeable unless you crawl under the dash and look specifically for it and, even then, does not appear especially out of place. Of course you can immediately determine that the Sanden compressor is not the LeHigh when you look under the bonnet but, what can I say? It's hot in Florida and I needed air conditioning. Additionally, with the exception of the aforementioned switch (which I have addressed), it works quite well putting out more than enough volume and BTUs to heat or cool the large greenhouse area in the car.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 9:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved