Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

BigKev, Richard Lambert, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Sudden Engine Cutout During Warm-up??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another topic drifted off course.

I've spent much of my life drifting off-course. Hard to stop it now with so much experience behind me.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Rebuilding a fuel pump can be a little frustrating, so be prepared for that. Arthur Goulds rebuilds fuel pumps also.

I put a rebuild kit in mine, I could only replace the 2 fuel check valves, the 2 vacuum check valves were stamped into the pump and I would have to had to grind them out. They seemed to be in good operation so I left them.

Take good pictures, and a lot of them, during the tear down of the fuel pump. I had to grind away one side of a pin that held the rocker and kick it out with a center punch. The square pins that moved the fuel diaphragm and the vacuum diaphragm were hard to line up during reassembly, the manual gives good information but not quite enough. I say I did that reassembly 12 times before I got it right.

The fuel pump kit came with many things I didn't use. The brass fuel screen they sent did not include the little brass frame the original had, so I reused the old one.

BigKev's slide show was for a different brand fuel pump than mine. Like he says many things are the same but not quite everything.

On mine the casting on the fuel side that held the bowl bolt was broken, so I had to go with a longer bolt for the bowl with more threads. I actually used a spare 3/8-16 stud (course one side, fine thread the other) instead. I think a bolt with a head would be better.

Here's my pictures:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2092&post_id=32707#forumpost32707

Posted on: 2009/7/10 11:14
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
So an update thus far... I rebuilt the fuel pump which was as rewarding as it was frustrating at times but it works great. However, the engine still cuts out as easy as turning off the key. Now I consulted with a guy I know at my local Ace hardware and he's a big time vintage car buff, sort of like my Yoda, and he said sounds like vapor lock. He then asked if there was any black rubber hose used as fuel line leading into the fuel pump and how close is it to the engine block. The answer being yes and within inches. He suggested, just for testing the theory and not a permanent solution, attaching clothes pins to the rubber section of fuel line or wrapping it in aluminum foil or heck, do both! It sounds like a solid theory but has anyone else ever heard of or tried these methods for troubleshooting it? It seems just so kooky that it probably works.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you determined it is positively fuel related? I haven't heard of the hose being a cause of vapor lock but have had experience with old hose that dried and the interior lining was brittle & cracked. Suction from pump pulled a piece of cracked lining loose enough so it acted like a valve stopping flow. Engine quit, suction relieved, lining went back into place all well until it happened again. If still original hose, would suggest replacing it whether cause of this issue or not.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm still far from convinced the problem is fuel.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 10:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved