Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Oldsmobile oil pump conversion kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The first sixteen sets of parts for the Oldsmobile oil pump conversion kits were delivered today and they're beautiful! The drive shafts are heat treated 4130 chrome moly.

We'll be putting out an e-mail to everyone who has requested info or a kit. The cost will be $200 for the kit, plus shipping cost and insurance via mode of buyer's choice, plus PayPal fees if that method of payment is chosen. If a buyer wants USPS Priority Mail and insurance and pays via PayPal, figure $210.

The PayPal address is PackardV8@comcast.net

My mailing address is:
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
3227 E 28th Avenue
Spokane, WA 99223

thnx, jack vines

Attach file:

jpg  (46.36 KB)
38_4b58913e6db29.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/1/21 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
how big is the oil passage hole in the adapter???? Looks alot bigger than 1/2 inch.

Made them out of aluminum????

Posted on: 2010/1/21 12:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The plate in the top row far right isn't finished yet, lol! Is it cheaper?

Posted on: 2010/1/21 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Made them out of aluminum????
Nope, steel.

Quote:
how big is the oil passage hole in the adapter????
5/8"

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/1/21 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Now for something new on this oil pressure topic:

As you may recall, I am dealing with a 56 that is on its third block, the first being replaced by Packard way back in the 50's.

I have been working with a good motor builder and asked him to let me know of anything he finds that would indicate some kind of design flaw cause of poor lubrication.

The only thing reported was that the block (a junkyard case) was one of the filthiest things he ever dealt with and it kept his washing machine busy for days. My feeling is this is certainly being caused by some kind of low velocity oil pressure problem.

The next area is oil sucking through the relief valve which looks like cavitation caused by a pick up problem.

In looking at this I saw something that the rebuilder totally missed and which I have to look at very carefully

- The location of the drain plug is so high that I don't think all of the dirt is draining out of the motor.

The Packard TSB's coincide with a common ASE Recertification question regarding tappet noise at speed - clogging of the pick up screen.

One thing is for sure, according to petroleum research, the number one cause of premature motor failure is - dirt.

Looking at the OHV Ford V-8 (arguably the best all around V-8 in the 50's) they put the drain plugs on the bottom of the oil pan will full flow filtration.

So for this motor I am going to recommend modifying the pan with a new drain plug location.

This could certainly be a cause of the very wide variance in the service record for these engines.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
So you're thinking that an high location of the oil drain plug is the reason for the engine failures and lifter noises? That's the most novel idea I've ever heard, and it may be right, or at least a contributing cause.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
take a closer look at what has clogged the screen. THEn look at the valve seals. The valve seals break off and drop to the pan and collect in the screen. The OEM valve seals ON THE STEM is a contributing problem that needs to be eleminated.

Oil pan drain plug. Just jack the car up at the rear about 6 inches when drainong the oil. I don't do that. But alot easier than drain plug relo.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.20 KB)
35_4b5b4496e9d84.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/1/23 13:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Tim Cole wrote Quote:
(snip)One thing is for sure, according to petroleum research, the number one cause of premature motor failure is - dirt. (snip)

<p>Since your engine is apart, seriously consider the full flow oil filter conversion. See this thread: </p>
<p>https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=36172&topic_id=3168&#forumpost36172</p><p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2010/1/23 15:44
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
greetings Packard enthusiasts my name is Buddy and I purchased a 56 Clipper Custom and am in the process of tear down for cleaning and reassembly I know I want to do a master cylinder replacement and I also would like to be on the list to buy a Oil pump conversion . I have about a thousand questions and am glad to have found you guys thanks in advance Buddy from Virgina Beach.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome Buddy, You've come to the right place. Check out the FAQ's on the left just above the Main Menu to get you started. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a bunch of friendly knowledgeable people to help you out. Glad you found us.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 12:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved