Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Ebay Search - junk vendors removed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I know people have different definitions of junk, but i not only count the car covers, hid headlight conversions, and cold air filters junk but also anybody listing anything they don't have IN THEIR POSSESSION. So if someone lists a water pump and it's really $5 on top of a water pump in stock at Kanter, that's a junk vendor. I add people to my removal list who are just re-listing their distributors wares.

I can get that stuff mail order anytime anywhere. I want to see stuff individuals are selling that may be different and/or here today gone tomorrow. The penny-vendors are really just mucking up the whole works.

Posted on: 2010/11/25 9:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To cortcomp:

I agree we all have our definiitions of junk but I do agree with you one some stuff. MY diffculty with Eric/Turbopacam's's "help" which he encouraged all to use is that it excluded many great, valuable parts for restoration.

Packodd listed a package deal of headlights/taillights and mounting stands for 35-37 six and 120. Certainly not KMart stuff. Kalsskollection listed 130 unique new and used genuine Packard items an d reproduction 56b Caribbean interiors. z11pacer had NORS ignition parts at lower prices than most, certainly lower than I sell them for adn oldnewparts had 14 varieties of 35 or 36 dashboards with modern instruments perhaps of interest of the "Modification" bloggers. I have no reason to believe these vendors do not have the items in their possession, do you have this information, please share and educate all of us.
I just picked some I recognized and some I didn't and 100% of them had relevant items. MY point is that peoplw on the forum woiuld be ill advised to take advantage of Eric's "help".

Fred Kanter
Friend of the Truth

Posted on: 2010/11/25 11:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Fred, Thank you for this information and also for the many other contributions you have made to this site.
I am one of the less computer literate members who was becoming increasingly frustrated by Packard parts searches on ebay. The vendors peddling radio antennas for 1902 Model G Packards and every model up to 1958 for example were becoming so prolific that it was becoming almost impossible to find the legitimate vendors among the "junk" vendor offerings. I complained to some of the vendors and to ebay to please cease and desist to no avail. Eric's exclusion list offered a quick and easy solution which I must admit I subscribed to. The easy way out for me was to accept his and others help rather than to spend the time atempting (and I did try) to create my own exclusion list. I honestly don't know what I should do. I don't want to go back to having to wade through countless antenna auctions nor do I want to miss out on offering from legitimate vendors but my attempts at creating my own exclusion list is also very time consuming and frustrating given my level of computer skills. Advice appreciated and in the meantime I'll try ebay without the filters. maybe the junk vendors have left since no one with a Model G likley bought a radio antenna. .

Posted on: 2010/11/25 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
clipper 47

The instructions I gave above are simple and will exclude the real junk stuff, whatever your definition is. Again, if you search "packard" in ebay motors adn you scroll down and find car covers and antennas, add -cover -antenna making sure to leave a space between each. You will notice the count of items decrease.

When yoiu are finished looking (I presume you don;t look at all 5000 at once) save the search adn yoiu cna yse it next time. When using it the next time and you across chrome muffler bearings for Model G etc, put in -muffler bearings, then when finished save this search and delete prev search.

Need more help, contact me at fred@kanter.com

This method will not exclude vendors who have 200 great Packard items and 3,000 for Isetta, yoiu will only see tha Packard items

Posted on: 2010/11/25 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Clipper47, My search version that I was updating on the first page of the thread may still be pretty good. The vendors in question were not part of that list as far as I know.

Posted on: 2010/11/25 20:43
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
fred kanter wrote:
. . . MY point is that peoplw on the forum woiuld be ill advised to take advantage of Eric's "help".

Hmm, I have used his search, see no charitable justification to condemn his . . I also have my own searches set up.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To DEP5,

As I explained in my posts above, his "improved" search removed vendors who had no Packard parts and those who DID have original NOS and valuable used items. If you search under "Packard" in ebay motors and a vendor has 599 Hummel figures adn one Packard V12 distributor car, only his cap will show up. (If yoiu exclude thevendor because he has too much "junk" you will not see the cap.

Eric excluded klasskollection who had about 500 items, 140 of them being Packard items. Searching under Packard would ony yield his Packard items, not the "junk".

You may very well have used his improved search with great results but you had no way of knowing what you did not find.

Here is an analogy: I went to New York, came out of the Lincoln Tunnel on 42nd street and walked it from end to end 3 miles total and had a great time. Told a friend about it, he said the streets in NYC go from 2nd to 212th and there are avenues too, plus other boroughs, 6,000 muiles of streets in all. My reply "I saw lots of places, what does it matter?"

I had no way of knowing I missed thousands of sights just like you didin't know you didn;t see many Packard items.

Ebay has many efficient ways of eliminating items you don;t want to see. Trying to be a charitable as I can, Eric made a "error" which benefits nobody and harms many

Posted on: 2010/11/26 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
To DEP5,
excerpt. . .Ebay has many efficient ways of eliminating items you don;t want to see.. . .

I think the ebay 'search engine' is a total disgrace.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
The main purpose of this edited search was to help those who have trouble with computers. If you search Packard antenna, you are going to get a lot of people selling generic antennas that they say fit your car. The search was meant to help eliminate it. I thought it was useful for some so I wanted to help keep it up when Eric (turbopackman) left the first time. I was going to go through it again when I have more time, but if it is of no use to anyone, I won't bother. Just let me know.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 21:34
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
to dep 5:

Could you please elaborate? If I am looking for 1938 Packard door handles as I just did, 5 came up all correct. Also just looked for 1955 Desoto mirrors, 2 came up, again correct.

I do not see in nay conceivable way that these results are disgraceful. I have found and bought 1000's items on ebay by the search engine. I also sell on ebay, over 6000 items so far. the buyers have had ot use the search engine to find the parts they need.

Again, please elaborate and explain what is disgraceful, that's a pretty strong word for the software of treh world's largest and most profitable e-commerce site. What do you know that they don't.

Thank you,

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/26 21:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved