Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

TxGoat, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Installing pusher fan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
And, this is a personal opinion, pusher fans to me mean that someone didn't want to put the time in to diagnose a problem all the way, or that they felt the need to put un-warranted upgrades on. Like a 60's muscle car with some huge carb on it and a giant flex fan and big headers when the engine is stock...just for bragging rights or looks. As a buyer, i steer clear of those cars. Not that you're looking to sell, but if you eventually are, all upgrades should also be weighed about how it will make your car "feel" in the mind of a potential buyer.

I agree with most others, if it's not puking you're likely fine. Re-routing fuel lines, or replacing missing heat shields, or blending a custom batch of fuel, or using other cheap tricks may help you diagnose the rough running as a fuel issue.

Some simple electrical tests would tell you if you have an issue with ignition at low rpm.

Does anyone actually have any real data to the old theory that putting a clothespin on the fuel line to the carb actually helps with vapor lock?! Someone told me that the other day and i had heard it before, but can't figure out in my mind how that'd work.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 9:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Installing pusher fan?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And, this is a personal opinion, pusher fans to me mean that someone didn't want to put the time in to diagnose a problem all the way

Agreed 100%, that's always been my view as well.

Does anyone actually have any real data to the old theory that putting a clothespin on the fuel line to the carb actually helps with vapor lock?!

It's likewise a mystery to me why this notion continues. Wooden clothespins no less? If they were metal, I suppose you could make the arguement that they create more surface area for radiating heat - but not wood! And besides, the line between the pump and carburetor is about the last place that vapor lock would occur.

Back to the original topic, perhaps we'd be better served to first come up with a definition of "overheating" before we all jump on the bandwagon for solutions to a situation that might not be a problem. I know I'll get disagreement from a few of you, but cars with thermostats are designed to run within a few degrees higher than the thermostat rating in non-stressful situations. That's simple, the temperature of the radiator water leaving the bottom of the radiator should be below the thermostat rating and as it enters the block it can be cool enough to partially close (throttle open-and-shut) the thermostat to reasonably maintain (+/- 10 degrees) that temperature. So what is overheating? Maybe this is a starting point.

1. Constantly running significantly above the thermostat rating, in non-stressful situations, but not boiling over?

2. Only running significantly over the thermostat rating in very stressful situations (A/C on, extremely hot day, stop and go traffic, etc) but not boiling?

3. Boiling over?

I'd say #2 is not overheating, and #1 is on the approach ramp to #3. #2 was a common enough situation when these cars were new and I wouldn't consider that to be overheating, at least in the chronic sense.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 9:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved