Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 196

Packard Don, JohnCB, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1948 Deluxe rear window
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I cannot imagine either what could have broken the regulator arm. Extreme pressure must have been applied for some reason.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
After removing the regulator, I had a hard time getting the window to drop down. Seems it was stuck from age in the side channels.Guess that's why the regulator arm broke if someone tried to force it. Finally got the window to release and move freely, but the front part of the channel pulled down somewhat with the window. Was the channel glued in or what ? If glued in, what do I use to reattach it after I install another regulator? Also, what is a good lubricant to use in the the channels, so window works freely ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/4/22 0:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The channels are not glued. For the long top and front channel, at the very end next to the vent window there are a couple of rivets. Across the top to front curve and then down the front side it is held by garnish molding. Once past the window opening it is held by friction inside the rigid front adjustment channel. The rear side is friction and a rivet or two at the ends to the rear adjustment and vent window support channel. Typically the windows won't stick unless something has deteriorated pretty severely. Usually it's the other way around with window being loose and rattling because the mohair has worn away.

I would look carefully along the sides and see if the mohair is dried or rotten and was torn & separated from the backing. If it separates and then bunches up as the window slides across the loose area it can cause a bind. Another possibility is if the tar or whatever the substance is holding the mohair to the flexible steel has oozed into the channel.

As to lubricant, I would try dry silicone spray but if it works short term, I wouldn't bet much the result would last. You may wind up changing the channel for a permanent fix. Kanter and Steele both carry new flex channel.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks again sir - i am surprised that the front side channel is not held by a screw , rivet or something. The mohair and channel look to be in great shape. You recommended a dry silicone spray - What brand ,PB or what ? Also, will the glass come out the bottom of the door ? The vent window frames need to be rechromed, but will have to wait - Good luck with your 47 project. You have a big job .

Posted on: 2013/4/22 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several good brands of silicone lubricant. 3M is always a good one but most are similar. Just depends on what your local store carries but make sure it says it is a dry type on the label.

As to removing the window, the rear will not come out the bottom. There is a procedure in the body section of 46-50 SM but basically you remove the screws inside the door at the bottom end of both side channels. Once those are out and with a little manipulation, the entire window assy including vent window and the channel we have been discussing will tilt inward at the top. Once the curved front channel is clear of the door at the side of window opening and across the top, it can be spread slightly and the window can be lifted up and eased out of the channels.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.44 KB)
209_5175e04bc1ea7.jpg 272X409 px

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I cannot find the 3M Silicone Spray (Dry Type ) anywhere in San Antonio , -Found on Amazon , but shipping doubles the price.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 16:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd say any brand you can find would work. Just make sure it says it's the dry type since you don't want to saturate the mohair with a lot of petroleum liquid carrying agent and have it come loose. Home Depot has the Blaster brand and Sears lists several on their website. Not sure what Sears would have in the store but maybe worth a look. Lowe's also lists a couple.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I looked at all of those , Sears , you have to order - The others don't say Dry Type specifically but guess I will get one of them. Also, may need a regulator if I can't get mine welded. One on Ebay is for a Custom or Super - are they the same as mine ( left rear ) ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/4/27 17:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apparently there are two manual type regulators for the 22-23 series models. No idea what the difference is. Here is the listings from manual so if the one on ebay says it's for a specific car you can see if your car matches the one he says it's for.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.82 KB)
209_517c4fd451410.jpg 690X69 px

Posted on: 2013/4/27 17:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Apparently there are two manual type regulators for the 22-23 series models. No idea what the difference is. Here is the listings from manual so if the one on ebay says it's for a specific car you can see if your car matches the one he says it's for.

I don't have any handy to compare, but suspect that # 405395 has a longer shaft for the winding handle since the parts book listing for that number is for Custom and Super Deluxe models with the woodgrain trim on the upholstery panel which adds to the thickness.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 18:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved