Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 251

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: '50 Custom Eight Sedan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Thank you Ernie. Much appreciated!

Posted on: 2019/3/13 4:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2019/3/13 11:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
The one from Houston is a beauty! Very Nice!

Being in north eastern NH.....Houston, TX does make it difficult. Not impossible but tough.

Well if the local one does not pan out tomorrow, i would talk to the gent if it's still available. To get that one from Houston to my door for $10,000. might not be realistic.

But thanks for looking out...ya never know.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one is Huston looks nice and has a great interior, other than the steering wheel needing attention, but if you decide to go look at it, be sure to check out the wiring. Not sure but I see some strange connectors on the firewall and what is the odd device on the side of the head? The head itself is the wrong color so clearly has been off at some point so check that it's the proper one.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 13:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Don--you are a keen observer.
Thanks.

After pricing enclosed transport from Houston to NH, I'd say that car is not in my price range.

Looking forward to my road trip tomorrow to Goldenrod Garage.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 18:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Well, I did go look at the car.
It is a 2362-5. So it is a Standard Eight, not the Custom as advertised. It did have the 288 motor.
I could not get any other numbers due to the poor lighting.
Paint was a poorly done repaint. The headlight switch was not operating. The oil was old and very black. Coolant was weeping from upper hose connection. The oil pan had a minor but noticeable leak. The frame was fine. The floor pan had 2 repairs made. Drivers front and Passenger front. Very poorly done. Sheet metal screws protruding well beyond the metal on both sides. And Loctite visible on both sides where original metal was too poor to use screws. Gas cap missing and a cut off soda can was used in its place.
I did not purchase the car. It was not the right car for me.
I know for many it would be a minor project and they would be happy to buy it but I was looking for something in nicer condition and not even that minor of a project would work for me.
I have put a call into the gent from Houston. Waiting for him to get back to me. And I have reached out to a few other makes for sale.

Posted on: 2019/3/14 16:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
I sent you a PM

Posted on: 2019/3/14 19:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Replied.

Posted on: 2019/3/14 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi A Packard Fan

Nothing like seeing the car in person, is there? Photos simply can't reveal all the warts and problems, frequently carefully omitted by the seller.

Fortunately, you're pursuing the 22nd-23rd Series which have a high survival rate affording many really good cars for reasonable prices so you don't have to settle. The Houston car looks quite excellent, if it turns out to be as good as it looks, you'll be glad you stretched to get it.

Just for your consideration, which may be of interest, this '47 Clipper Deluxe has been for sale in Norwalk, CT for a while. It certainly isn't prefect but looks serviceable currently and is quite reasonably priced.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/norwalk-1947-packard-clipper-sedan/6828432211.html

Good luck with your search and please keep us apprised of your results.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/3/15 16:56
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Steve

You are correct!

Thank you for the good wishes.
I am still hot on the trail. I will let the good folks here know what ultimately happens.

Thanks again

Posted on: 2019/3/15 19:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved