Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: Booster and Master Cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

You wrote:

Quote:
One of the knock-off units I recall was the Delco-Morraine, they looked so similar to Bendix at first glance that you had to take a second look to see what it was.

That might help explain some people who have attempted to villify the BTV by citing Nader's Book, Unsafe at Any Speed. Itwas actaully the Moraine unit that sucked brake fluid right out of the reservoir. I won't bore you with the full details, but someone cut one corner to many in designing that Moraine unit.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
IMHO, unless he is retrofitting some sort of alternate parts, that rebuilder is full of it.

That was my feeling too because the piston is the only moving part thru the seal.. One of the GM? vendors on his ebay store has new pistons for around $30.

I have seen the casting get pretty bad around the outer seal circumference area which might be machined and sleeved. Don't know if new castings very available so maybe that's what he does.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I believe the AACA thread was started by the same poster as this one - just using a different screen name here.

I must admit that I misread the other thread, at first, and focused on the hydraulic failure. Yet, after a second reading, it looks like his hydraulic issue was transient and now has a pedal return problem. He could be dealing with two separate issues, each with thier own, separate underlying cause.

he also mention a problem of having to top off the fluid. I've had to do that with each of my Packards using glycol-based fluid, but not in the one using silicone (though I haven't checked any of them in years). What a lot of people don't understand is that these old hydraulic systems were NOT sealed from atmosphere. Glycol fluids seem to condense overtime; anyone who has taken the cover off of on out in the field will find sludge (at best) or a crystallized substance.

It could be that he topped of the fluid in the reservoir, but there was air trapped in the chamber below (with the compensator valve closed) - until he worked the pedal and burped it.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. Wait a minute. Lets take Owens queue for a minute. Maybe i've misunderstood the problem due to lack of info from complaints.

When the pedal fails to return does that mean that the brakes REMAIN APPLIED????? OR does it mean that the brakes release and ONLY the pedal remains depressed?????

The former was reported a few weeks ago that the brakes remained applied AND the pedal failed to return.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
HH56 -

I'm not sure how the plunger from GM's knock-off compares to that of the BTV. I'll probably have a local machinist fab the rod from stainless and transfer the washer/end.

The castings that I've had apart (including one from a field car) never showed no any problem in the seal area, but I have one that the body was so badly pitted it wouldn't hold fluid.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

Quote:
The former was reported a few weeks ago that the brakes remained applied AND the pedal failed to return.

That sounds like a bit of a different problem than the one that opened this thread.

We won't what's failed until somebody removes one of their units and opens it up for inspection.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Brian. I think Kanter supplies those in SS. Don't remeber the price tho. $50.00????

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"We won't what's failed until somebody removes one of their units and opens it up for inspection."

yes, that's been the problem with many topics all along. No owner inspection. Makes it tuff to diagnose except from stricly design analyisis.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In post #12 of this thread, Trog indicates:
"..has both an Edsel and a '56 Lincoln Premiere with Treadlevacs and we've not experienced the problems we've known on the Packards. Also he rarely needs to top off the reservoir. On all four of my '53-56s, I need to top the reservoit off several times a year. And"

AND trog mentions pedal return failure.

SO, has the vacuum can sucked enuf fluid from the MC over the years thus creating a hydraulic lock in the vacuum can. If it was just vacuum it would release normally. But if it becomes a full body of fluid then it would be very slow to release.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 16:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brian, the new piston for $30 says its for treadle vac but it's on ebay store. Looking again, not clear if repro or single NOS. Might be different for GM applications too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190289524386&viewitem=

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved