Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Asking the men and women who own one...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Okay, I've been searching, and what I've found is tantalizing - an Ultramatic bellhousing adapted to accept a Jeep T90; and several references to a '56 Patrician-cum-high-speed-tourer, but no in-depth tech article.

Can you provide a link, Mr. Packman, or perhaps recap what you've done to give the old Eye Eight some legs?

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/6 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
See my reply to the email you sent me.

Posted on: 2009/4/7 4:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Eric, I sent you an e-mail? I don't remember doing it, and I don't see a reply in any of my accounts. That's not to say I couldn't forget, however. I'm only 26, but I'm busy at work lately.

I did take the time to stop and take picutres this morning.

The Good: Sign in the window says - "Have Chrome and Other Parts"

The Bad: Sign in the window also says - "Needs Trans Work"

I just need to show my wife now and see what she thinks. That's what will make or break this deal.

-Dave

Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/7 7:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Appears to be a 52 but even if it needs trans work looks to be an excellent start--having the chrome and other pieces is a big +. How's the interior condition. If I had to guess, original color appears to be Packard Blue top and Yosemite Blue (code BH) minus the hood and trunk transplants.

Posted on: 2009/4/7 8:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Interior is there and original (gray with pinstripes), but a little torn up. It's hard to see in because of the glare off the flat glass.

I'm glad to hear it's still a good deal. I've always wanted to own a straight-eight flathead.

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/7 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sorry David, I recently got an email asking me about modifications I've done to Packards. Must have got you guy's mixed up!

So, here's Eric's guide to buying postwar Packards:
#1, don't buy a 4 door unless it's dirt cheap or you actually want one, it takes just as much money to fix up a two door and the two door is of course worth more. (and cooler!)
#2, if said 4 door is a standard trans, all can be forgiven.
#3, The Ultramatic trans is a GREAT trans when working properly. That being said, they're not cheap to fix and can be finicky if you don't know much about them. They are VERY sensitive to kickdown linkage adjustments, and those must be taken with care. THEY ARE NOT DRAG RACING TRANSMISSIONS!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next section is Top Secret Highly Sensitive Material, Ultra-High Clearance Eyes Only
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4, To get more "oomph" out of your flathead 8, all the old racers tricks work. Here's a clue that not a lot of people know about: The Packard straight eight from '54 on back to the '40s 120 engine share essentially the same design elements of the great ______ of _____. They have the same angled valves, and a lot of the same features of the _______. I'm not going into a lot of detail here, but let's just say that there's enough in common that SOME parts could be shared between them. The valves I took out of a '51 _______ engine are nearly identical to the ones I took out of my '53 Packard 9 main 327, and you can buy stainless steel ones in 2" size for the _____. (I used to work on _____ before I grew up and got into Packards)

#5, Supercharging/Turbocharging the Packard straight eight is feasible, but use caution and common sense. The thing's not going to live at 6000 RPM and 30lbs of boost, so be realistic on your power expectations. I think 327 HP from a 327 cid straight eight is an achievable goal.

#6, For more indepth and detailed descriptions of the "censored" parts, send me an email. I've had too many ideas stolen from me by unscrupulous individuals on here and other sites that I'm extremely cautious on who I divulge my information to.

Posted on: 2009/4/7 12:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
For the record, I actually want a four-door sedan. I've been looking for a four-door sedan because I have a family now and the sexier two-doors are just an inconvenience. Plus, I've always had a thing for underdogs, and more-doors are so unloved, I can't help but want to lavish some attention on one.

I think I know the secret make, I'll e-mail you to see if I'm right.

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/7 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
For a sedan of this era, I'd say look for a Patrician instead of the 200. Conservative but classy and luxurious.

Posted on: 2009/4/7 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Do you think a Cormorant could eat a Hornet? Ha ha ha .

Posted on: 2009/4/7 15:09
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
Everything you said about the 1958 fire that caused Powerglide to be used in the Cadillac is correct except that the fire at the Hydramatic plant was in 1953. Oh, and the subsitute transmission used for some of those 1953 Cadillacs was the Buick Dynaflow, NEVER the Powerglide. They held up, but were "slugs" off-the-line compared to the Hydramatic-equipped Cads of the same year.

Now, about the reliability of those Packard Electric vacuum-cleaner motors...

Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved