Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 227

JW49, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Time for AirCon
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for info. It appears the unit you have has been discontinued--but there are others of similar concept.

I'm still kicking around ideas on how to use the original dash control. Since the piece thru the dash with knob is nothing more than a shaft with a short mechanical flex cable, it is able to be revised. There is adequate room on the defroster box shelf where the original rheostat is mounted to do several things--but not too much where the knob is. One possibility is to get the separate control module assy and adapt that.

The kicker, as we've both found, is the modern unit has both speed and temp so single knob has to be able to control both--On another car I had with fact AC, I wanted a temp control. Built a rather crude mechanism where the knob rotated for on/off & speed per original but slid in/out for temp. It was a real rube goldberg because of the mechanical temp switch I chose to control the clutch engagement without modifying anything else. The fact the knob always stuck out a distance for whatever temp selected was also a sore point--but it did work.

Am hoping to do better this time so maybe rotate for both. Regular for speed & a spring loaded pull out to select another flex shaft via gear for temp. Anyway, just thinking out loud and thanks again for the info.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
HH56,

If you figure out something for the temp and fan controls please advise. My car is a forever work in progress.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56:
\If u plan to eliminate the Packard heater core and box then why not go with some kind of more modern brand X heater/evap unit??? Of course what comes to mind to me would be mid-70 Chev or maybe 88 F Ranger. MAYBE some other brand-X would be better.

The idea here is keep all of the AC configured under the hood of the car and NOT in the interior of the car.
There seems to be plenty of room on 55-56 Packards to allow the Brand-x retro fit to slide further into the rite fender well. Need to keep it clear of the valve cover for engine service.

I would prefer to have the set as described above because it keeps operational noise level OUT of the interior of the car AND keeps the blower motor from getting so damned hot.

THe blower motor on my Mark-IV unit gets VERY hot which has always alarmed me. BUT it has worked just fine over the last 10 years or more. I just see no need to have all of that heat so near my foot, in the interior of the car nor the added noise level nor misery of under dash maintenance.

When i get real ambitious, i'll probably change my set up to mid-70's Chev or some other Brand-X under-the-hood setup. For rite now, i'll just let the M-IV unit do the cooling.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 12:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Loyd. For the fan control why not just place a dash mounted fan control sw. BETWEEN the hot wire feeding the unit and the fan sw. on the unit????? Set the sw. on the unit to HI and then the dash mounted sw. will control the fan speed. In effect, the current will just be passing thru the UNIT mounted sw. The dash mounted sw. will control the currrent flow thru the set-to-HI unit mounted sw..

Posted on: 2009/5/2 12:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Lloyd. How many wires are comming out of the evaporator box??? What is each wires purpose??????

I'm guessing there are only 3hree wires.
1. Power feed wire.
2. ground wire.
3. Wire to compressor.

If the above is true then how much trouble is it to get inside of the evap box to alter the wireing to the temerature control sw. inside of the evap box????? That is run another hotwire to the evap box to the temp control sw.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
PV8 I actually want to try and keep everything looking more or less as stock as possible which means keeping the heater. Also want, of course, all the modern improvements. Hence the quandary of making modern fit old and still look old but work as modern.

Have made a few units over the years--always keeping to the idea that if properly camouflaged, no one would know except me. Unfortunately, AC build it yourself parts are getting hard to come by so am being forced to adapt something. Here's a few pictures of the original setup if you haven't been around one.

First picture is of the Packard AC box minus the evaporator. That sits on a diagonal between the small opening on left where valves connect and the defroster/heater opening. Blower is the large opening on left. Heater is very sophisticated---not. The regular control does heat/defrost at the large opening on rt. Heat can come out the AC vents or pull a knob and open a long flap on bottom or both at once if both open--same with AC. The AC vents connect to the two angled openings on the front.

Second pict is a unit I made and used several years-until another real one came along. In the car, it looked original except for the galvanized metal. That one I modified so the heat was only out the bottom. Also added a channel on top so defroster could use original duct locations. It worked reasonably well although the evaporator was a bit small for the car size.

Third pict is a work in progress of reproducing the original vent assys. They are a real PIA, giving me grief trying to make a mold so air isn't trapped. Still haven't got them to where I am satisfied--although closing in. Last couple showed promise.

Fourth pict is of the rube goldberg speed and sliding temp control I made for the unit in second pict..

Attach file:

jpg  (79.01 KB)
209_49fc94b669408.jpg 826X1280 px

jpg  (46.85 KB)
209_49fc94c7c0f73.jpg 640X467 px

jpg  (34.10 KB)
209_49fc94d3db70e.jpg 640X503 px

jpg  (93.69 KB)
209_49fc94e81de5b.jpg 1145X1061 px

Posted on: 2009/5/2 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
PackardV8, you are correct as to wiring for the aftermarket evaporator box and I shall pursue you suggestion.

HH56, your, "Rube Godberg," solution to integrating aftermarket control with original equipment is both simple and ingenious and your reconstruction of original appearing heat/fresh air/cooling systems is impressive. I applaud you and fervently admire your expertise.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I can not quite remeber what the pre-war radio control mechanisms look like nor how strong they are. Maybe one of those to operate the inaccessible T'stat/compressor switch?????

Quote from : "I now have AM/FM in my 38" thread.

"My 38 came equipped with a radio but the part under the dash wasn't in the car when I got it. The stock Packard volume and tuning cables still turned freely so I hatched a plan to use the stock controls to work my new radio. It took a bit of hunting but I found a radio (Walmart of all places) that still used mechanical knobs for both volume and tuning. I made up some couplings and attached them to the knobs"

Posted on: 2009/5/5 20:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
PV8: I'm thinking the radio controls would be unable to mount, would be too wide and would be as out of place as well.

What I am thinking of is making another control that would duplicate the looks of factory setup using same hole and bezel. As you see, the space is rather narrow. The original control is nothing more than a single shaft of picture 1 about 3 inches long sticking thru the dash with the knob and bezel on one end and rheostat on other.

Am thinking of making a support for a mechanism and with the use of 2,3, 4 and a spring have the knob turn as regular for on/off & speed and then by pulling knob out a bit disengage with one gear and mesh with another spur gear and turn another shaft for temp. The actual controls would be mounted on the defroster underside just as the rheostat is now. At least that's the plan. One thing not sure about is how to indicate a temp or if it would even be necessary.

Have too many projects so sometimes my ideas take a while to have the mood to make something match the need to have.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.55 KB)
209_4a00f56880255.jpg 464X171 px

jpg  (18.42 KB)
209_4a00f571c14fc.jpg 450X350 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. Re your dash vent pics above:

"Third pict is a work in progress of reproducing the original vent assys. They are a real PIA, giving me grief trying to make a mold so air isn't trapped. "

Not sure what u mean. Do u mean u made a mould to produce the cover and louvres????? Out of plastic????

Posted on: 2009/5/5 21:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved