Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Alternative pistons and rods for V-8
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
An SBC conversion is looking better and better as the years go by.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 11:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Craig, this post reminded me that I've meant to ask you about the status of the Panther project.

I ran across your Panther website several years ago, read through all of the posts, then came to the end where you stated it was on indefinite hold.

Is that still the case?

This is REAllY off topic, but the answer is YES. But not for long, hopefully.

I have all the parts, but not the time to finish it right now. Other projects, mostly Pontiac ones have intervened. These include movie builds, Barret-Jackson builds, local builds, etc. These are all Pontic builds.

I will finish the Panther Project before I expire, that I promise.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 11:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Looks like it's time for a poll then, how many people drive their Packards more than 5000 miles a year? Anyone?

I put around 8k on the 51 last year. Drove it everyday. Everything else sat.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
An SBC conversion is looking better and better as the years go by.

FWIW, a friend back in Kentucky built a Packard V8-powered street rod, including his own custom 2x4 intake. I sent him a custom re-ground camshaft for it. His is sort of a low-budget rat rod. He says it is always one of the most looked-at and photographed cars at the local shows. People walk by dozens of SBC-powered cars which cost ten times as much to build to talk to him about his Packard V8.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Craig and Eric. The point i'm trying (so lousy) to make is what if only ONE piston is needed???? For ANY reason.

Quote:
Am i the only person that has ever bought less than a FULL set of pistons???

No I don't think you are. If I get this right you are talking about only boring one cylinder and then using one oversized piston? If the bore is OK what is wrong with using a good used piston after all the other 7 are used? If the bore is bad and you are not going to bore the whole engine then I would suggest having the bad cylinder sleeved and rebored to standard or what ever oversize the other 7 are.

For the sake of providing ammunition here I have what I think will be a broken #8 piston. If the bore looks good as far as taper goes I will replace the piston with a good used piston.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I put around 8k on the 51 last year. Drove it everyday. Everything else sat.

Ok, that's four that I know of, you, John, Craig, and I'm pretty sure Keith drives his Exec quite a lot. Once I get the tank fixed on the '48 I'll be driving it everyday as well.

That's 5, out of how many members on this site?

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Years ago during the muscle car era I remember an article in Hot Rod about hopping up a brand new Barracuda. When they took off the heads they were surprised to find one cylinder had been bored oversize by the factory.

This is not the best practice but it has been done by the factory and by mechanics repairing an engine that had a wrist pin gouge, broken piston damage etc.

When I worked in a garage about 15 years ago one of the mechanics took the head off a Honda 4 and found the pistons were in backwards.

Funny things happen sometimes.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
2k to 5k miles a year for me. Depending on the year. THis year will be low due to personal family problems. I've had the car 11 years and driven over 20K miles. My driving is RARELY under 50 mph and mostly 70-80 mph on rural interstate. I can't take a chance on parts that are alleged less than OEM durability.

I'd like to do a world tour with the Executive and my 48 Chief. I believe the car will do it right now as it is.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 14:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Since the 352 can be bored to 374 then a wide range of oversize pistons should be possible especialy for the 352.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 wrote Quote:
Since the 352 can be bored to 374 then a wide range of oversize pistons should be possible especialy for the 352.

The problem is not the bore size, but rather the pin height. The Packard block is very tall relative to almost everything else. Hence my choice of the 7.100in rods. BTW, the Packard stock rod length is rather long (6.78125in) compared to BBC (6.135) or Pontiac (6.625). 426 Hemi (6.86) is longer, but not long enough to make up for the deck height difference.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 17:39
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved