Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

TxGoat, West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 14 »

Re: maTILTa
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm more concerned about where this topic is going. was about headers and now about flipping a car on its side.

while cool and i hope it works, i'm more interested in the cost and time frame of the headers. i want to get my exhaust done soon or at least figure out if i can afford the headers.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
No umbrage taken my friend ........... I know you way too well.

And just an aside, with engineers in the world, that is reason enough to have common sense policemen in the real world too.

Stay safe on your project.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955-56 V-8 headers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
cli55erQuote:
i'm more concerned about where this topic is going. was about headers and now about flipping a car on its side.

I considered starting a separate topic about turning a Clipper up on its side, but some of my friends thought it would be better to keep it in the 55-56 header thread simply because the ONLY reason for putting the Clipper up on it's side is to facilitate checking fitment of the 55-56 headers.

I don't have a 4-post lift here at my garage, so checking fitment on a complete car (55 Clipper) would be a giant PITA unless it were put up on its side so that one could just stand there and easily work on the underneath bits. Hence the reason for the maTILTas inclusion in this thread.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I don't think it is hijacking this thread. In any case, bear with me.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
cli55erQuote:
while cool and i hope it works, i'm more interested in the cost and time frame of the headers. i want to get my exhaust done soon or at least figure out if i can afford the headers.

I have a multi-page spreadsheet going keeping track of all the costs, both material per header and one times costs for EQ, etc. Once I get the metal prototype done and fitted, I should be able to pretty accurately estimate the cost of a production one. While I'm waiting for header flanges and collectors from my old supplier (about another week he said), I'm using the time to flip my Clipper up on its side!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
understood. thanks.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 15:25
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
KevinAZ Quote:
But you are definitely pushing the envelope here in my opinion.

Kevin,

I like being out on the "bleeding edge." That's the only way you do anything new and find out what can and cannot be done. Also, I'm having fun.

So, we'll probably find out this weekend if the maTILTas do their job or not. Stand by!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/8 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Coming in a little late, but this might save you some grief:

If that Clipper has standard suspension it is not going to be wonderfully helpful as the frame is shaped differently, especially on the driver's side, and will not have any holes in it for exhaust on that side.

For more complexity, even if it has torsion, it still may not have holes for exhaust on the driver's side as they only put those in mid-year; the early cars only having a single exhaust.

For example, I had to cut the holes in the frame on Mr.Bumble's Constellation to put the duals on for the owner before him. I used my own Constellation for patterns as it had factory cut holes even though the serial was less than 100 higher than his.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 7:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Roughly a march (2948) birthday here and everyone knows of the lovely hack hole someone put in my frame and I have TL.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 7:35
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Ross Quote:
If that Clipper has standard suspension it is not going to be wonderfully helpful as the frame is shaped differently, especially on the driver's side, and will not have any holes in it for exhaust on that side.

For more complexity, even if it has torsion, it still may not have holes for exhaust on the driver's side as they only put those in mid-year; the early cars only having a single exhaust.

Ross,

From your post, it's not clear if it was meant for me or Hank (Cli55er). If it was meant for me, my 55 Clipper Super 4dr parts car has T-L. Whether it has a hole for dual exhaust on the D-side or not is irrelevant to using it for fitment purposes since the end of the header collector ends before where the frame hole is/would be. The frame for my Panther (nee 56 Clipper) is a bare chassis right now being used for the mockup and prototype has T-L and dual exhaust.

Thanks for the heads up anyway as it might help somebody else who's thinking about buying a set of these headers.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/9 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
In preparation for the "Big Tilt", we finished the maTILTas yesterday and early this AM.

Here is the front maTILTa installed with the anti-rotation arm installed. This single arm prevents it from rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise during lift.

Resized Image

Here is the rear maTILTa with separate anti-rotation arms.

Resized Image
Resized Image

Here is the B-Pillar stop support. Note that the B-Pillar is laid back at an angle of 13-deg from vertical.
Resized Image

Here is the B-Pillar stop support installed with just some rope. When the Clipper is flipped 90-deg, this support will be sandwiched between the B-Pillar and the ground.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved