Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 186

Charles, Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Re: Booster and Master Cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice piece, but hard to tell from a picture and scant text. I'll keep PST and Kanter in mind when the time comes for the next overhual.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 19:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
OK, yes I posted this on the AACA forum as well a week or so ago. Been too busy with work to get into trying to inspect things, but to recap quickly: First the brakes failed unexpectedly going down the hill even though I sensed no problem backing out of the gararge and stopping or going up my driveway hill and stopping at the road. It is the next time I applied the brakes that they faile as they did about two years ago and then never again after that until a week or so ago and the car has been driven a number of miles including down some signifiant hills on the local mountains. I pumped the brakes a few times and they became as normal except then the brake pedal failed to return, and Keith I cannot really at this time discern that the brakes are still engaged...it just feels like the pedal doesn't return because I feel no drag or resistance. This booster was rebuilt by Ed Strain who rebuilt my others and in fact rebuilt both the Edsel and Lincoln T/Vs quite a few years ago and they are doing fine. I just will have devote some time to this down the pike. And yes, the car is stored in a garage with heat on if it drops down into the 20s. I took a quick look again this evening and believe the only way I can get the top off the filler hole is throuigh the inside after removing the bracket. There is one screw under the steering column inaccesible. Will try to report back as soon as I can look at this. I did back it out of the garage this morning and back in this evening and the brakes felt good but the pedal did not return.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
I did check the vacuum hoses and Tee clamps and hoses appear good and clamps on tight.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When the brakes fail, does the pedal go to the FLOOR with NO stopping effect??? Or does the pedal only go part way to the floor with no stopping effect????
When u get a chance, check the Vacuum booster unit to see if it has alot of fluid in it.

Unfortunately, it will probably be necessary to remove the entire unit and pour out the fluid (if any) from the vaccum booster unit to determine if there is any fluid in the vacuum booster unit unit.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How much higher is the TV unit mounted on the Edsels and Chryslers?????

Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
The Edsel and Lincoln units are both up 8-12" higher well above and away from the steering column or any airducts. It'll take some time to tackle it on the car as I have the carpet to deal with first before getting to the plate. If it were not for those extremely hard to get to brake lines, I'd just try to pull it all out quickly, but they are right in there beside the fender and a real pain on this car. Then the whole adding fluid back once the problem is found, bleeding...just takes time.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 22:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
The pedal went to the floor with virtually little or no braking power....at the time I actually had descended the hill and was turning onto a level area. I had another longer steeper hill in about 1/2 mile and after pumping them up, decided to negotiate the hill and made it ok, then another 6 or 7 miles that day with at least as many stops. Brakes seemed ok, but for the no pedal return. Never had this problem of no pedal return on any car ever previously.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 22:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
I'm working pretty long hours for the next few weeks which provides no real time in the evenings to try and pursue and then other maintenance items come up that take precedence.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 22:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had another longer steeper hill in about 1/2 mile

Long hills? Are you sure that plain and simple brake fade isn't the issue? Or part of your problem? If you're using conventional brake fluid, switch to DOT 4, it has a significantly higher boiling point.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 23:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Not that long a hill and I should never get brake fade after driving less than a mile on a cold morning.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 23:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved