Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Authenticity vs. Modification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dave
Quote:
We had a vendor and a reasonable price

Sorry to hear the project didn't generate enough support but you & Dan did try.

One thing I didn't and still don't understand is the engineering and production costs involved & apparently a requirement for so many up front. The reasonable price part is debatable--although don't remember hearing an actual just a guestimate--but I haven't priced pistons for anything lately so you may be right.

It would seem that there should be blanks available for someone's close but not quite right piston. A machinist, micrometer, and original piston could come up with some numbers to plug into a CAD/CAM setup without spending a career at it. Why then would it not be feasible to make a few sets at a time as needed--add +.010 or +.020 to the numbers and make another set etc..

Maybe someone more versed in this aspect of production can tell me what I'm missing in the big picture. After all, any TV hot rod or motorcycle show out there shows them machining a custom wheel at the click of a mouse.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Linc400:

"As far as nasty club members, I have encountered that myself. I asked a couple of questions on another forum about a Packard I was considering buying last year. When I wasn't getting any responses, I mentioned that I had a time deadline that I had to go back to the owner with an answer. I got some very helpful replies, and a couple of really nasty ones about who did I think I was demanding info. They just continued to be jerks badmouthing me even after I tried explaining my situation. I bought a Lincoln instead. No problems on the Lincoln Forum. I passed on the Packard because I thought it was a black hole for cash. But it makes me wonder how many other people these jerks turned off from buying a Packard. I know I'm glad I have the Lincoln forum to go to for help instead of dealing with those jerks. Now from this site, I have seen some very helpful and friendly people. But unfortunately the negative experiences are remembered more vividly by people."

I hesitated jumping into this firestorm, but this one comment has been gnawing on me since I read it. Linc400, if this one event caused you to not buy a car that you wanted, then may I suggest you get a thicker skin or something that will help you make better decisions. It would be a cold day in hell if a couple of twits with a caustic mouth prevented me from buying a car that I wanted. I to have run into these kinds of jerks, and you have to feel sorry for them, but to let them run your decision making processes does not speak well for you. Buy what YOU want because you want it, not because some self opinionated twit struck a raw nerve with you. Now I know someone will call me on MY caustic opinion, but then I am not trying to convince to buy one car or another. JMHO.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I may be one of those twits.

On other boards I have seen brand new members on their first post DEMANDING long detailed replies to questions the oldest man in the world would have a hard job answering and YOU BETTER MAKE IT SNAPPY because I want my answers IMMEDIATELY.

Such demands occasionally get the kind of response they deserve.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I'm not a fan of modifying anything needlessly. I am 31 and own several old/antique cars.
1941 studebaker commander- 6 volt, flathead 6, no changes at all, show condition
1962 buick lesabre- all parts and systems as buick built it. v8, dynaflow, generator, etc. mostly restored condition
1978 ford ltd- as ford delivered it, faded paint is the only problem, driver status
1975 ford thunderbird- as ford delivered it, still has plastic on seatbelts, unrestored near show condition
1959 edsel ranger-6cyl, 2sp auto, fair condition, no mods yet,but perhaps an alt. conversion since the generator gives me endless grief.
1948 packard deluxe- just got it, no known changes and hope it doesn't need any.
So far I like this forum and everyone has been real friendly and helpful. I've seen other forums where that's not the case, such as an edsel forum I found last year. It seems to me that the independent makes have a friendlier crowd. That's good as it's hard enough to get younger people to be interested in older mainstream cars, let alone orphaned makes. I've since run into 2 distinct types of older car people: the kind who are glad that someone is trying to keep these pieces of history around, and the kind that fall into the "how dare I drive something like that or I don't deserve such classics" category.
If you attend a show around here, the only people with or looking at cars prior to 1955 have canes and/or oxygen tanks. The cars need to be out and driving, not just stashed away and saved for someday that never comes. If people don't see them then they're already gone. I do get tired of the impromptu car show and Q&A session when I drive one of my older cars, but I answer their questions if I can because people answered mine long ago. If modding an otherwise unwanted car is what keeps interest alive, then I'm all for it. If the car is that rare or priceless, then it's probably already owned by someone who will do the right thing. I never buy modified cars because that's like opening a can of worms, but I would't knock someone who does.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
ChuckLTD,

You have a very nice stable full of Ford products. Me Like!!

Posted on: 2009/4/22 18:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
Quote:

AL wrote:
Linc400:

"As far as nasty club members, I have encountered that myself. I asked a couple of questions on another forum about a Packard I was considering buying last year. When I wasn't getting any responses, I mentioned that I had a time deadline that I had to go back to the owner with an answer. I got some very helpful replies, and a couple of really nasty ones about who did I think I was demanding info. They just continued to be jerks badmouthing me even after I tried explaining my situation. I bought a Lincoln instead. No problems on the Lincoln Forum. I passed on the Packard because I thought it was a black hole for cash. But it makes me wonder how many other people these jerks turned off from buying a Packard. I know I'm glad I have the Lincoln forum to go to for help instead of dealing with those jerks. Now from this site, I have seen some very helpful and friendly people. But unfortunately the negative experiences are remembered more vividly by people."

I hesitated jumping into this firestorm, but this one comment has been gnawing on me since I read it. Linc400, if this one event caused you to not buy a car that you wanted, then may I suggest you get a thicker skin or something that will help you make better decisions. It would be a cold day in hell if a couple of twits with a caustic mouth prevented me from buying a car that I wanted. I to have run into these kinds of jerks, and you have to feel sorry for them, but to let them run your decision making processes does not speak well for you. Buy what YOU want because you want it, not because some self opinionated twit struck a raw nerve with you. Now I know someone will call me on MY caustic opinion, but then I am not trying to convince to buy one car or another. JMHO.

I did not buy that particular Packard because I determined that it would be a sinkhole for cash. If it was a car that I thought was a great car and great deal, and I really wanted it, no idiot on a forum would scare me away from it. Especially when they have no useful comments to make. However, how enticing is it to know that these are the people that will be responding when you have questions to ask about it after you have bought it? Especially if it is a car that you know nothing about. And this would be the case with most young people if they ever looked at a Packard. In my case, I really like and wanted a Packard. In some cases, it might just be a car that they have seen for sale somewhere that they thought was interesting. It wouldn't take too many nasty responses to kill that interest and have them looking at a Chevy or Ford where they felt a lot better about asking questions and showing their car. In my case, I was looking for a specific Packard, Imperial, or Lincoln. I have a decent amount of info on Packards. However, the questions I had about that Packard were not covered in any of my books, nor did I find any answers online. The Lincoln is what showed up first. While I would like to get a Packard someday, the cash has been already spent on, and the garage space taken by the Lincoln. And while it is not the most perfect forum, it is nice to know that I can ask questions on the Lincoln forum without having anyone there feel the need to reprimand people or put them in their place.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 19:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
I may be one of those twits.

On other boards I have seen brand new members on their first post DEMANDING long detailed replies to questions the oldest man in the world would have a hard job answering and YOU BETTER MAKE IT SNAPPY because I want my answers IMMEDIATELY.

Such demands occasionally get the kind of response they deserve.

Not a very good attitude. Many people look at or buy cars on Ebay. If they receive replies days after the auction ended, they aren't very useful are they? So as the ending time gets nearer, and they have no replies, yes they will get anxious. And Ebay is not the only reason that they might need fast answers. What if there is someone else looking at it, or they saw it while they are out of town and won't be able to go back later? Not to mention the fact that younger people are generally more impatient and expect immediate answers because they live in an age of computers, internet access, texting, and chat sites, and usually get immediate answers. And if they are a brand new member on their first post, how are they supposed to know how long it takes to usually get a response?

A while ago a new guy asked some questions about a Lincoln he was interested in. After a 1/2 hour, he received no replies and got anxious. Someone asked him "You expect an answer in 1/2 an hour?" No name calling, no reprimanding, no need to "put him in his place". He apologized and explained that 1/2 hour is a very long time without a reply on the sites he usually goes on. He would usually have 10-20 replies by then. Apparently they are more like chat sites. After he understood that the Lincoln Forum does not work like that, he turned out to be a very nice guy and appreciated the help he got. It was suggested that he pass on that particular car. If he was browbeaten and reprimanded and called names, it is a lot less likely that he would want to look at another Lincoln and come back to the forum.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Linc400 said:Quote:
And while it is not the most perfect forum, it is nice to know that I can ask questions on the Lincoln forum without having anyone there feel the need to reprimand people or put them in their place. If he was browbeaten and reprimanded and called names, it is a lot less likely that he would want to look at another Lincoln and come back to the forum.

Give it time. I think you give your Lincoln friends too much credit. Every group wether your dealing with cars, planes, or my friends rock collection they have their hierarchy and their squabbles & fights. You want to know why there are so many forums on Lincolns? Because somebody got ticked off on one forum and went out and started their own.

I happen to like Lincolns. What year & body style Lincoln do you have?

Posted on: 2009/4/22 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

portlandon wrote:
ChuckLTD,

You have a very nice stable full of Ford products. Me Like!!

Thanks. All low miles and well-cared for. Typically, I buy Ford 1973-79 and Buick 1946-64. Only the bigger cars. Big cars need love too!
I learned on the cars of the 70's and when I felt confident enough, moved down to 12 volt generator era and now I'm trying 6 volt era. Haven't done anything with the Stude yet since nothing's broke so I'll be learning as I go with this Packard.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 22:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
True, no forum is perfect. Plenty of little squabbles there too. But I have never seen anyone attacked and called names like I was when asking questions about a Packard. Even tho most are against customizing, there is a customizing section, and I do not recall seeing anyone make negative comments about what someone has done. They will post Ebay auctions of customized cars and criticize those though. I have no problem with that. They are not insulting someone on the forum or someone asking questions. I have been on there for about 3 years, and don't really know of another Lincoln Forum. There is Lincoln vs. Cadillac, but I've never really bothered with it as it seems to be focused on post 1980 cars.

This is my 3rd Lincoln, but the other 2 are long gone. The reason I was looking for a car was to replace my 1979 Cartier that I owned for 11 years. It was rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured motorist that was too busy talking on his cell phone to notice that all the cars were stopped in front of him.

I ended up with a 1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy Edition. It was not my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice. In fact it wasn't even being considered until I ran across it. It was the best condition, lowest price, lowest miles, and best color combo out of all the cars I looked at. It had all the options I wanted, it was just the wrong year. I really was hoping for the right Packard to come along first. But I couldn't pass up the Givenchy after a year and a half of passing on much worse condition much higher priced Packards, Lincolns, and Imperials.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 22:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved