Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 11 »

Re: Dummy Timing Chain Install Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Remember when made in Japan meant inferior junk?

You mean it doesn't anymore?

Posted on: 2010/11/9 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In post #45 above Cortcomp says that the old crank gear from his streight 8 has the "O" mark on the teeth.

Let's find out from other Packard streight 8 owners.
How many have "O" marks on or near a gear tooth and how many have "O" mark on the face of the shoulder where the balancer butts up against????

We can even look at chevies, fords, mopars, whatever too.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 19:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
You mean it doesn't anymore?

Just think they have gotten a little better over the years.

Think on a scale of 1 to 10 China is an 11 and Japan is in the top 5. With what's left of manufacturing in the this country we still come in around #1. Not guaging by manufacturer name but by things acctually made in the USA. Craftsman is a good name but I would not buy another power tool that says Craftsman on it. The stuff is junk probably made in China now. Their power tools at one time were bullet proof. They would last 30?40 years. I bought a craftsman palm sander maybe 10 years ago that didn't last 2 days of lite use. The Jap brands are by far better.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The crank gear from my very original 327 9 main engine has the "O" mark on the flat where the balancer rides, my old 320 Packard V8 had it there as well.

The location doesn't really matter, as it's all hidden when the timing cover goes on anyway.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The "0" mark on my '47 356 engine is also the same as the one pictured in the 1946-50 Packard shop manual and that is on the flat of the crankshaft not on a gear tooth.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a few chinese and IndiA made items here. Structuraly the items are good enuf. The problems is with any parts that have to fit or line up with even minimal precision, they don't.

I have 2wo jib cranes and a china import knock off of a Whitney hand punch,a lite metal die punch set and a few other items. They work ok but require some hand fitting and kind of babied while in use.

For the cheap price they're mediocre performance for the home shop. I would not want to depend on them for daily service at all.

Power tools and wrenchs and sockets forget it. STRICTLY junk. The sockets make good spacers.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The Indian motorcycle cylinders/piston sets from India are used in several bikes around the world. They require alot of hand fitting and some modification to get them to work.

Bolt holes don't line up (like cylinder head bolts) and some cylinders are 1/10" taller than OEM. THese are problems that can be corrected. UP SIDE is that the IndiA made cylinders are considerably harder than OEM cylinders.

The popular thot is that the Chinese and India made products lack anything that would be considered precision and that materials used range widely in quality and hardness or softness.

For all intents and purposes the 'import' products are a crap shoot at best.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok then. The streight 8's must have placed it on the flat butting up against the balancer. I'm surprised Erics 320 V8 has it there tho. The pic in the V8 manual shows it near the teeth.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The 374 under the bench in my garage has it in the same place as well.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Bob1951:

An item which we supply incorrectly or which is made incorrectly is returnable for exchnge indefinately, no time limit. Refunds, no questions asked, 30 days as long as in unused condition. If there is a mismatch between the chain and sprocket, return \for exchange. As I said in other posts, we stand behind what we sell.

Although I respect your thoughts, I cannot agree with your ability to perform metallurgical testing with your eyes.

To others:

Made in Japan/Made in Taiwan/Made in China used to = JUNK

There was and still is junk made in the USA You all may make uninformed fun of foreigners or foreign products, but that's what in part killed the US auto industry. The big three thought that imports were junk and would fail and go home , recentlly they had 51% of the USc market.

MOOG has the best reputation fro suspension parts. I heard from a very reliable source that 100% of MOOG ball joints have Chinese made ball studs.

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved