Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

Ozstatman, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: 359 Straight Eight Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
So many of today's Engine Oils not suitable for the older engine? Not herd of Wix and Hastings here in England? Perhaps any English members can enlighten me to what's available here suitable for old Engines 6 Volt.

Also, the 212 Horse Power, does this mean 359 a beast of an engine ?

Posted on: 2010/12/24 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Read that the 1953 Packard Coupe Conv has 180 HP
And the 1954 has a 212 HP

What was going on there?

Posted on: 2010/12/26 0:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
327 vs 359.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 1:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Yes, oils for modern engines with roller cams are not at all suitable for old L-head engines with flat tappets, such as found in Packards. The zinc in oil that used to be there has been removed for emissions reasons for use in current cars. You can get Shell Rotella Diesel oil there in 15w40, I'm sure, which will work just fine for a Packard straight 8. Just ask your supplier for the best filter they make, or order them from Kanter or a similar supplier, I'd think they'd sell only good quality filters.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 13:14
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Gary Marshall wrote:
Read that the 1953 Packard Coupe Conv has 180 HP
And the 1954 has a 212 HP

What was going on there?

As Kev pointed out this was the year they changed from the 327 to 359 engine. They also changed from a 2 barrel to 4 barrel carb and other changes.

They were trying to compete with the new generation of OHV V8s from Cadillac, Chrysler and others which they did quite successfully. In 1954 the Patrician 212HP was selling against the 200HP Buick Roadmaster, 230HP Cadillac, 195HP Chrysler New Yorker, 205HP Lincoln and 235HP Chrysler Imperial. So you can see, if they were not leading the horsepower parade they were right up there with the big boys.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"Also, the 212 Horse Power, does this mean 359 a beast of an engine ?"

I believe the 359 is what the English used to call a "lazy" engine. That is what they call an engine that can propel a 5000 pound car to 100 MPH with no fuss.

As opposed to a typical 1954 English engine that was straining every nerve and buttonhole to drive an 1800 pound car to 70, and deafened everyone in the car doing it.

An example of old fashioned British understatement like calling Tiger Woods "not a bad golfer" or Mount Everest "rather large".

Posted on: 2010/12/26 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe Packard went to a four barrel carburetor on the 1953 Senior models(Patrician and Cavalier). Both were rated at 150/155 b.h.p. (depending on cylinder head). The Patrician had the 9-main bearing 327 engine while the Cavalier had the 5-main bearing version of this engine. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/26 15:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW you are correct.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 15:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Yes Rusty, sounds like a big understatement. Normal British thinking they have best when truth they have worst . Although I did like the Truimph 2000 Roadster. And the Bently and MG.
The Packard must be the Bently of America.

Do any members convert there engines to run on unleaded fuel ? Or best left alone?

Posted on: 2010/12/26 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Gary Marshall wrote:
Yes Rusty, sounds like a big understatement. Normal British thinking they have best when truth they have worst . Although I did like the Truimph 2000 Roadster. And the Bently and MG.
The Packard must be the Bently of America.

Do any members convert there engines to run on unleaded fuel ? Or best left alone?

Your engine should run fine on unleaded gas. The old flathead engines came from a time when gas had very little lead anyway. Only the high compression OHV engines require a lot of lead and their heyday ran from 1955 to 1970.

One rule of thumb is your octane should look like your compression ratio. The highest compression ratio used by a flathead was 8.7:1 on the 54 Packard. This would require 87 octane or thereabouts. It would probably be quite happy on anything down to 80 octane.

If you are concerned about valve wear and upper cylinder wear you could add a shot of Redex, Marvel Mystery Oil or the like to each tank of gas. Not a bad idea to help prevent wear on an old engine in any case.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 17:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved