Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Fred Kanter Quote:
I suggest you try an easier fix. New (current production ) lifters.

It's a matter of opinion whether installing new lifters is easier than installing a new oil pump. I'd call that a draw at best.

Quote:
Often works, anyway can't hurt.

Installing new lifters on a used cam is inviting one or more wiped cam lobes. Now you've got a much bigger problem.

Quote:
HIgh volume oil pumops [sic] are for high performance/racing applications with loose bearing tolerances. Not needed on a 3500 rpm high precision Packard

Noisy lifter(s) are probably an indication of low oil pressure. This can happen at idle (500 rpm). I've had several satisfied Packard V-8 Olds oil pump & adapter kit users tell me that their oil pressure at hot idle with the stock oil pump was ZERO. After installing the new pump, it was 20PSI. Doesn't sound like a high rpm "racing application" situation to me.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/1 11:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I have ordered the oil pump and related material from Jack, Fred's advice not withstanding. The provenance of my oil pump is uncertain and so many posts here and elsewhere start and end with the oil pump that it seemed logical to start there. As noted earlier, if I won the lottery, more would/could be done. Till then.......

A word of thanks for everyone who supplied experience, who spent time on this, who stayed with the thread and who helped. Most mechanical stuff is outside my comfort zone, so I rely on you all for guidance.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 13:44
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen
PLEASE PLEASE save the oil pump that is removed from the car. Lets take it apart and analyze it. It's ez to take apart. U gotta digital camera???

Posted on: 2011/9/1 20:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
Fred Kanter Quote:
I suggest you try an easier fix. New (current production ) lifters.

It's a matter of opinion whether installing new lifters is easier than installing a new oil pump. I'd call that a draw at best.

Quote:
Often works, anyway can't hurt.

Installing new lifters on a used cam is inviting one or more wiped cam lobes. Now you've got a much bigger problem.

Quote:
HIgh volume oil pumops [sic] are for high performance/racing applications with loose bearing tolerances. Not needed on a 3500 rpm high precision Packard

Noisy lifter(s) are probably an indication of low oil pressure. This can happen at idle (500 rpm). I've had several satisfied Packard V-8 Olds oil pump & adapter kit users tell me that their oil pressure at hot idle with the stock oil pump was ZERO. After installing the new pump, it was 20PSI. Doesn't sound like a high rpm "racing application" situation to me.

Craig

This might well be the best post I've read on here in months. Very well said, Craig!

Perhaps if you are able to make it, and would care to, this topic could be a tech talk in Laughlin latter this year.

Jim

Posted on: 2011/9/2 0:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Noisy lifters that are noisy DUE TO BAD LIFTERS is usualy NOT intemittent. The intermittent noisy lifters are due to a worn oil pump, especialy Packard V8's. The Packard V8 oil pump is rather notorious for premature wear.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 7:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Yes, installing new lifters on a badly worn or compromised cam can be trouble, but we sell tens of thousands of lifters only for all makes and models and once ina while the customer ahs problems they lett us know about. MOst often complaint "soft lifter". Weh we check for hardeness never have found a problem. Either lifter not rotating in the bore, failure to prelube cam or bad lobe to begin with.

Yes, if you replace both cam and lifters tjhere is less a cjhnac eof aproblem, but doing lifters is not a recipe for disaster. Back in the 60's when we didnlt know about the weaknesses of the V8 OP I replaced 5 or 6 sets of lifters, never a cam, never a problem.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Yes, if you replace both cam and lifters tjhere is less a cjhnac eof aproblem, but doing lifters is not a recipe for disaster. Back in the 60's when we didnlt know about the weaknesses of the V8 OP I replaced 5 or 6 sets of lifters, never a cam, never a problem.

Yes, that used to be true in the 60s or even in the 80s. But because of the change in oil formulation -- and there was a thread on this recently -- the frequency of wiping a cam lobe on a new flat tappet cam/lifter install is increasing. I know many Pontiac engines being built today (the whole community, not just me) with the more expensive hydraulic roller lifters if for no other reason than to eliminate the probability of wiping a cam lobe. These are on street engines, not race. Once bitten, twice shy.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any manufacturers making roller lifter cams for Packard V-8s, so avoiding new flat tappet lifter/old lobe problems is more important than ever.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/2 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
PLEASE PLEASE save the oil pump that is removed from the car. Lets take it apart and analyze it. It's ez to take apart. U gotta digital camera???

I could probably figure out how to do this. What are we looking for?

Posted on: 2011/9/3 16:49
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:

This was Keith's question, but I personally have no idea what he's looking for. I've said this before, maybe Keith missed his calling and should be a Medical Examiner instead of whatever he's doing.

As far as I'm concerned, if it is a "bad/worn out part" and not really repairable or improvable, then you throw it in the trash and get a "new, better part", if possible -- which it is in the case of the V-8 oil pump.

Maybe it's just me.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/3 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:

patgreen, you should have your Olds pump and kit by now.

Just send the old Packard pump to me and I've got the micrometers and have seen many, rebuilt many, so I can compare it to others and report back.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/9/3 17:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved